Possibility to edit custom data field in Garmin Connect

Hi, I have a watch app, and one of its features is to write a custom data field into the activity. Can anyone please advise if there is a chance to edit that custom field value after the activity has been saved in Garmin Connect? Thanks

• it's offtopic here, but you can try to download the fit file, edit it, delete the original activity, then import the fit file.

• Thanks for reply, this  sounds like a hack, I was wondering if there is any better option, since any default metrics can be edited inline, but custom cannot

• No. You can't really edit the default metrics either. Like you can't change the recorded pace or HR. You can trim the activity and change it's type or name. But not the recorded "facts"

• You can't really edit the default metrics either.

Well akshually you can edit time or distance in the Connect App, and average pace will be recalculated accordingly.

You can actually edit a lot more stuff on the Connect website, like HR (avg and max), total ascent/descent, best pace, calories, and cadence (avg/max).

You can't edit avg pace anywhere, probably because Garmin wants to calculate that from time and distance.

• Yeah, that's what I meant, we can edit lots of default metrics, but was wondering if custom field value could be edited, since in SDK documentation couldn't find any mention of any property on creating a custom field like 'editable' or so 

• because the SDK is about how you do things from Monkey C code in the app, not about what can be done to the fit file in the Garmin Connect app :) But again: no, there's no official way to edit it

• not about what can be done to the fit file in the Garmin Connect app

Sorry to be pedantic once again, but I wouldn't characterize activity editing as literally editing the FIT file because:

- not all activities originate from FIT files (very old devices used TCX), but presumably those activities can also be edited

- the activity in Connect clearly contains information that was not present in the original file (but is calculated from it), such as moving time, run/walk periods, etc.

- if you click Export File in an activity on the Connect website, you get the original file (which is usually a FIT file) sans edits.

So even if editing the activity is editing some copy of the original FIT file (which I doubt), the user would never have a way of seeing that since there's no way to export the "edited FIT file".

EDIT: then again I just found out that you can only trim an activity in Connect if it originated from a FIT file (and not a TCX file, for example). So maybe editing in Connect is editing the FIT file after all. Unfortunately there's still no way (that I know of) to export the edited file.

was wondering if custom field value could be edited

Kinda curious what your use case is here.

I know it's not the same, but could you just put your "edit" in the activity notes?