EDGE 1050 Glances

Ok this is awesome. Thanks Garmin!!!

I have a couple data fields that use the touch screen for user entry during rides. Th new 1050 (and maybe the 10404?) has a feature activated by tapping the screen - when you do, a set of features pop up such as allowing you to indicate a road hazard. However, if one of your data fields that is listening for a screen tap is displayed, Garmin deactivates that pop up feature so your data field will work as expected. I really thought this feature was going to ruin our ability to use the touch screen. I'm not sure how the device knows a field is listening for taps, but regardless, it works! Awesome!

• What does this have to do with “glances”? This post doesn’t seem to be talking about “glances” as in the thing that replaced “widgets” for newer Edges and watches, or “glance” in the way that you used it in another post, as in turning your wrist to look at your watch (which, as you said, doesn’t apply to Edges.)

Are you calling it a “glance” bc it displays a bunch of info you can “glance” at? By that logic, anything on the screen could be called a glance.

Th new 1050 (and maybe the 10404?) has a feature activated by tapping the screen - when you do, a set of features pop up such as allowing you to indicate a road hazard.

Garmin calls this the timer overlay. If anyone else (like me) doesn’t own an Edge but was curious about what it looks like:

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/GUID-08ACA9FC-DEE6-4C8D-8A95-F62181C512E9/EN-US/GUID-935F156A-3D3A-4476-A364-3A858FB889E0.html

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/GUID-08ACA9FC-DEE6-4C8D-8A95-F62181C512E9/EN-US/GUID-B10C8BAD-B836-4D32-848A-63EE6B108650.html

However, if one of your data fields that is listening for a screen tap is displayed, Garmin deactivates that pop up feature so your data field will work as expected.
    I really thought this feature was going to ruin our ability to use the touch screen.

Does it disable that feature completely, or just for the areas occupied by your data fields? If it disables the feature completely, I don’t see how this is a good thing. From the user’s POV, they installed a 3rd-party app which may or not have ruined *their* ability to use the touch screen. Unless you think ringing the bell, reporting a hazard, or returning to the home screen aren’t important functions.

If I were one of those users, I might think my device was malfunctioning.

I'm not sure how the device knows a field is listening for taps, but regardless, it works!

The device could simply check for the presence of onTap() in the field’s input delegate (using a has check), without needing to actually analyze the code to see what it does. You could verify this theory by creating a data field that has onTap() that simply returns false (which means that taps aren’t actually handled). If the device still turns off the timer overlay, then you can be fairly sure the presence of onTap() is enough to disable the timer overlay. But who knows, maybe firmware is smarter than that and actually analyzes the code to see if at least one of code paths returns true (I kinda doubt it tho, as that would be a lot of work for little benefit.)

• Does it disable that feature completely, or just for the areas occupied by your data fields?

I own an Edge 1050 (and had/have 1030, 1040…) and with all the Edge devices it is the same behaviour:

Let‘s assume a „all screen“ datafield. If you have no area defined for ontap(), then every tap leads to the overlay with the home-screen option. If you have defined certain areas for catching a tap (and they return true“), the action you have coded will happen. Therefore you have to leave some areas with no tap-catch, so you are able to get the „home-overlay“.

• Thanks for clarifying! That makes a lot more sense than disabling the entire timer overlay just bc some data fields are listening for taps on some parts of the screen, as the OP implied.

It also means the mechanism involved is much simpler than I described above - it’s completely straightforward: when the user taps any part of the screen, if a CIQ datafield handles the tap (returns true from onTap()), then the timer overlay is not shown. Otherwise, it is shown. No need for the firmware to guess / analyze the implementation of onTap().

In other words, there’s no need for the device to “know” how a CIQ field will react to a tap before the user actually taps, as implied in the OP. The device simply handles onTap() as it normally would for any other input/behavior - if onTap() returns true, then the default action is suppressed, otherwise if onTap() returns false, the default action happens. (It just so happens that in the past, there was no default action for a tap, but now there is.)

I still think it’s somewhat problematic that a CIQ data field can override important functionality like this, but it’s a lot less egregious than I thought.