Software update 5.0.0.21 is awful.

I would like to provide feedback on Software update 5.0.0.21, it is awful. I have used a Garmin for years and like the single screen layout on my phone that it would provide. The new software shows less information per screen and is difficult to try and configure it to represent the old version level of info.  I have used Garmin for years and this my second one and will probably be my last.  I am going to look into the Apple Watch since I hate the way the data is now presented. Change is not always better can I go back the the old version?

Top Replies

All Replies

• This is not the correct forum for your comments. You are talking about Garmin Connect Mobile on your phone, so please post your comments in the Garmin Connect Mobile iOS forum.

On a related note, I would would contend that if you are considering an Apple Watch because of how the companion mobile app presents data from your watch then you haven't looked deeply enough into the vast, rich information that a Garmin wearable gives you. There is no wearable on the market right now that gives you as much, specifically correlated information about various activities that a Garmin watch will.

• This is not the correct forum for your comments. You are talking about Garmin Connect Mobile on your phone, so please post your comments in the Garmin Connect Mobile iOS forum.

I'd like to (once again) offer my opinion on why this keeps happening (i.e. people keep posting here when they actually want to talk about the Connect app on their phone, or perhaps even the Connect website.)

Nobody outside of these forums has called the Connect app "Garmin Connect Mobile" in 10 years, not even Garmin (other than a few old references they forgot to scrub).

The app is called Garmin Connect in the iOS store, and the label under the app icon on your phone's home screen is simply "Connect".

The support articles and youtube videos from Garmin all refer to "Garmin Connect" or "Garmin Connect App".

Nobody on the garmin subreddit ever talks about "Garmin Connect Mobile", it's always "Connect", "Connect App" or "Garmin Connect."

The "Mobile" signifier is a throwback to an era where, for some people, an app on your phone was something new, as opposed to being the default software experience, and to a time when the Connect phone app itself was new (as opposed to the website, which had been around for longer.)

This is where someone will point out that in the app itself, when you click on 3 dots > Help, there's a menu item called "Connect Mobile Features". This is true, except tapping on that item takes you to a generic Garmin Support page (not specifically for the app), which indicates that it's an old link which now redirects to the default support page, and that they should really remove it.

It's great that Garmin has preserved the 10+ year history of these forums, but it would be great if the names of some of the subforums were changed to reflect the current product names Garmin and their end users actually use. Imo, in some ways, these forums are completely out of touch with the average Garmin user, unless they've been around for 10-20 years.

As another suggestion, this forum could be renamed to "Connect IQ - 3rd Party Apps", to avoid confusion with the Connect app. I realize it's already in a section called "Developer", but that's obviously not enough of a hint in some cases.

As with the partially fixed "New" button issue, where people keep pressing "New" when they want to reply to a thread, not realizing that it will actually create a new thread, I don't expect this to ever be addressed.