This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

New Connect website Reviews includes ratings with no text - Useless Noise IMO

The latest update to dashboard (and Connect IQ Store) Reviews section now includes ratings that contain no review text.

Does anyone find this useful?  It creates a bunch of noise that hides actual reviews.  For me, this is a HUGE mistake.

• But if a developer reviewed their own app, the developer's name would appear in the review that would be seen today even if there was no text

• What's "odd" to you is normal to me.

Rating your own app is ethically dubious.

It appears you want to hide that you are doing that (also, ethically dubious).

You managed to point to a good reason why each rating should be a included!

• Yes, that’s a problem.

The fix for that is to not allow the developer and to rate their own app. 

• If I was worried about y'all seeing that I rate my own app, I wouldn't have shared the link.  It is stupid that Garmin let's you do it, but when you're first starting out, in a store that makes it really hard to have your apps show up in the app lists, why not.

99.99% of the ratings are from other people and displaying them is the issue at hand.

• The thing is a dev could create 20 bogus accounts and use them to post fake reviews.  I'm pretty sure that's happened in the past

• Sure, they could. Though doing that, it would not be any extra effort to add a word as the review. 

• Unless they didn't want people to see the bogus reviews and just get a higher rating.  As I've said this has happened in the past.

• I have apps that I first uploaded 8-9 years ago, with few blank reviews.

and with my 50 or so apps in the store, not once have I reviewed my own app.

You want your apps to show in the store.  Just like everyone else.

• It would be hard for a user to detect bogus reviews f(rom 20 fake accounts). If one was already using 20 fake accounts, it wouldn’t take much more effort to leave text that would make them appear less bogus. So, while I would agree that using 20 accounts would be bad, I don’t think that displaying empty reviews would do much to fix that problem (it’s easy enough to add text to get around that).

Using one’s developer account (and having the empty reviews not listed) is much less work. 

• I've seen cases where say 5 "reviewers" in a row all post the exact same thing, and then the exact same 5 post the exact same thing on another one of the dev's apps.