Avg Lap power in % FTP instead of wattage as Connect IQ Datafield on Edge - possible?

Hi guys,

Just recently bought a Garmin Edge 520 to replace my Polar and found out the Garmin has no default datafield to show the Lap Power AVG as % of FTP (only current power can be shown like this). It shows the absolute power number.

I thought making a simple datafield in Connect IQ would be possible, but after looking here a bit, it seems the lap info is not directly available in the API.

Data needed for the calculation : current set FTP for the user & the current lap avg power.

Additionally : % FTP for 3s average (now instant power % FTP) & the last lap avg power would be nice too.

Is there any way this can be done?

Thanks,

Klaus
  • You can get the user to enter the FTP value via the application settings in Garmin Connect Mobile or Garmin Express. Once you have that, you just need to calculate the average power for the lap, and divide.

Travis
  • Thanks Travis,

So do I need to develop an app or a datafield? Can Datafields have settings to be entered via GCM or GCE?
    Since Garmin doesn't expose Lap data, I need to calculate the lap info myself? Save all power data & then divide by elapsed time?

Thx
  • Thanks Travis,

So do I need to develop an app or a datafield? Can Datafields have settings to be entered via GCM or GCE?
    Since Garmin doesn't expose Lap data, I need to calculate the lap info myself? Save all power data & then divide by elapsed time?

Thx

You can use app settings (GCM or GE) with data fields.

As far as the lap data, the 2.1.0 Preview has a callback ( onTimerLap() ) so from a DF, you can see when a lap occurs (manual or auto). With 1.2.9, you could have an app setting for the distance you use for a lap..
  • Well, i'm looking at 2 things that should be added as a datafield :

1) The AVG power for 3s in % view. (not possible by default in Garmin)
    2) The AVG lap power in % instead of absolute numbers, but not by distance, but by manual lap toggle.

I'll need an App Setting for FTP for both.
    For 2), I'll need a way to know when a lap has started (time) and use the time elapsed since that lap start time to calculate the avg power. So i'm guessing this will not be possible before the public release of 2.1?
  • Hi,
    I was thinking the same and i'm trying developing that (for edge 520).
    I'm actually having trouble with OnTimerLap callback because it look to me is not working when using a workout file.
    Does anyone has experience with that?

Regards,
    Paolo
  • I would like to tell you that if you want to developer than check Houston mobile app development company they have best app developers and web developers who can help you to fix all things in an easy way