Page Indications? SDK 4.2.0

I see in the README that 4.2.0 includes something called Page Indications.

Does this mean my CIQ data field will be informed about which screen (page) is currently active?

Top Replies

All Replies

• No, I think it's just a visual indicator for the end user when they're in a scrollable list of views. Same as what activities already have on newer devices, but not something your data field app can directly make use of (except perhaps for on-device settings).

Based on the 4.2.0 SDK documentation, I think page indicators are part of the new ViewLoop class, which is a "collection of scrollable views." (I'm gonna guess this is something that will be usable anywhere a view is allowed that takes user interaction, so perhaps device apps and on-device settings for data fields and watch faces.)

I'm guessing they're going to look something like this :

I noticed that the doc says "Since API Level 3.4.0", which seems to confirm that System 6 is:

- For CIQ 3.x devices, CIQ 3.4.0

- For CIQ 4.x devices, CIQ 4.2.0

I love how Garmin hasn't explicitly laid this out for either System 5 or 6, nor given us a way to select only System 5/6 devices via minApiLevel. (It can't be done since you either exclude devices you want to include, or include devices you want to exclude.)

• Yes, the the breakout at yesterday's GDVC about this, there was a mention of things that would be coming to CIQ 3.x devices like the instinct 2.

• The time the GDVC was on in GMT8 was before the dawn. Dear JIM, where can I watch the live replay ;) LOL

• It might take a week or two before the breakouts are posted (or it has in the past).  If it's like the past, the Q&A after the breakouts won't be available.

Notice there are two System 6 test devices available if you want to start testing any System 6 stuff.

• Aha I noticed it has been nearly 2 months since the last SDK released. IDK what they are doing LOL

• Not really that odd. 

4.1.4 was in June, 4.1.5 in August

They said at the GDVC the next 4.2 SDK will be about a month out.  We may be at the end of 4.1

• LOL. I saw the preceding ones was released with around 1 month interval averagely.

• It kind of depends on when enough fixes are made for a new SDK.  I have found a fix in the 4.2.0 beta1 SDK for something I first saw in 4.0.7.  It's a matter of priorities.

At the GDVC, they did say that alpha/beta System 6 FW would start showing up in early 2023.

• The page indicators do refer to the new ViewLoop management classes for making page loops with native scroll bars. However, to your question, check the 4.2.0 beta SDK API docs and you'll see a new method getCurrentView() that returns the View and InputDelegate that are on the top of the stack. This method will be API 3.4.0.

As of this writing the plan for System 6 products are as follows:

API 3.4.0 API 4.2.0

fēnix® 6 Series
    Instinct® 2 Series
    Forerunner® 55

Edge® Explore 2
    Edge 1040 Series
    EpixTm (gen 2)
    fēnix 7 Series
    Forerunner 255 Series
    Forerunner 955 Series
    Venu® 2 and 2 Plus
    Venu Sq 2 Series

• As of this writing the plan for System 6 products are as follows:

Thanks for the clarification! Any comment on whether 945 LTE will be upgraded to 3.4.0? Would seem strange to leave it out as it's getting a lot of 955/Fenix 7 features (although I realize it will never get CIQ 4.x).

My concern with the System 5/6/etc. versioning scheme is with the documentation and the minimum API level in the app manifest, which still assume that the CIQ versioning scheme is linear.

1) e.g. For System 5-specific functions, the docs always say something like "Since: CIQ 3.3". While this is technically correct, it doesn't capture the fact that it's also "since CIQ 4.1 for 4.x devices".

2) For the same reason as in the previous point, it's impossible to use the minimum API level in the app manifest to include System 5 devices, and only System 5 devices, because you either end up including devices you don't want (e.g. 4.0) or you exclude devices you do want (e.g. 3.3)

Same reasoning applies to System 6 and any feature System Xs. Seems like it will be even more of a problem if and when CIQ 5 is introduced, because then you could have System Y which applies to *three* separate firmware branches.

Sure, 1) isn't a problem for devs "in the know", but it would be nice if the messaging was clearer across the board.

2) seems like more of a problem for a dev whose hypothetical app relies on a system 5/6 feature, and they don't want any devices without system 5/6 support (*) to be able to download it from the store. (* i.e. old devices or new devices with old firmware.)