Stryd power and Garmin running power data in one datafield?

In my Datarun datafields I have used the fact that the Stryd footpod sends power data over the standard bike channel, alongside sending all power related data over a custom ANT+ channel. The data from the bike power channel is available for my datafields.

With my new FR955 and my HRM-run heartrate belt the datafield still gets the power data from the Stryd footpod to the datafield (currentPower) and the datafield displays it. When doing a workout it still does that, but the watch also displays Garmin power on the gauge page and has alerts based on it.

Would it be possible to get both power values (from Stryd an Garmin) in a datafield?

Top Replies

• And one probably still needs to have the Stryd zones datafield to get activity data in the Stryd powercenter

Correct. Stryd stopped accepting power data from any app except their own, because…

All Replies

• What happens if you don't use Stryd, but you do use the HRM-RUN: does ActivityInfo.currentPower reflect running power from the HRM-RUN?

If so, then the solution would be to stop pairing with Stryd as a native power sensor and use your CIQ datafield to connect to Stryd with ANT+. That way the datafield could display both Stryd power and ActivityInfo.currentPower.

If not, then I think you'd have to ask Garmin to change the API in one of two ways:

1) Change ActivityInfo so it can return both running power and bike power, independently. I kinda doubt they will do this

2) Change ActivityInfo so that it returns running power for the power-related fields: currentPower, averagePower, etc.

• When I have only my HRM-run with me, currentPower has no data and my datafields display a zero. Internally in the watch bike power that comes through the ANT+ channel is treated differently as Garmin running power; Garmin running power isn't exposed to the datafield through currentPower. I was hoping that the API offered Garmin running power somewhere.

An API change where ActiviyInfo is able to offer both Garmin running power and bike power (your option 1) would be preferable. It would open the way for datafields like your Run Power and my Datarun datafields to be used by users of the HRM-Run/Tri/Pro running pod etc. Option 2 would make our datafields unusable for Stryd owners that want to see Stryd power

• Option 2 would make our datafields unusable for Stryd owners that want to see Stryd power

I explained above how I think you could see both Garmin and Stryd power if ActivityInfo only had (Garmin) running power in the existing power fields:

- Disconnect Stryd as a native sensor (power meter)

- Add functionality to your app to connect directly to the Stryd sensor (from within the app), as a power meter

For example, my app already supports a direct connection to Stryd, for watches that don’t support power meters natively. If Garmin were to start populating currentPower with running power, it would be easy to display that alongside the other power value.

Not saying it’s optimal (as connecting via your app can be flakier than a native connection), but it would be workable.

Unless I’m missing something.

Guess it’s a moot point now, anyway.

• With the 255 and 955 to use the HRM-Pro or RD pod for run power, the CIQ DF isn't used as it's now in the native FW.

• With the 255 and 955 to use the HRM-Pro or RD pod for run power, the CIQ DF isn't used as it's now in the native FW.

Thanks, I understand that.

Not sure if you read this thread closely, but the discussion is about 3rd party Connect IQ data fields and whether they can display both native power and Stryd power at the same time.

When I said "Garmin running power", I was not referring to the Garmin Running Power Connect IQ data field, I was referring to "Garmin running power" as a concept: i.e. the running power data that is generated by Garmin. In this context, we are referring to native running power (as you can see, the OP refers to 955).

My point was that if Garmin were to populate ActivityInfo.currentPower (and other power fields) with native Garmin power data, then a CIQ app could continue to directly connect to another power meter such as Stryd, and display the two power values independently.

Since Garmin doesn't do that now, it's a moot point.

• Yes, I know that Run power has it. I experimented with it as well, but as it didn't always worked I decided not to through with it. It is also possible to connect to the Stryd footpod over the custom channel it uses (ANT radio frequency 57), completely bypassing the Stryd zones datafield. However it still doesn't give the datafield access to the Garmin running power data. And one probably still needs to have the Stryd zones datafield to get activity data in the Stryd powercenter

• And one probably still needs to have the Stryd zones datafield to get activity data in the Stryd powercenter

Correct. Stryd stopped accepting power data from any app except their own, because of concerns about bad data, and also because the Stryd data field gathers more information than just power, which Stryd says they need for their analysis.

• Has this been fixed? Seems obvious that native Running Power in a Garmin device (like the 955) would be exposed in the Activity.currentpower structure. Probably an oversight 5 months ago when this thread was active?

•   

Dear all,

maybe one of you can help us, me and a fellow user who developed a ciq datafield using Stryd data.

His Datarun Ultimate (DR-U) app uses both info.currentPower and info.maxPower.

He as the developer has no problems to see any power related metrics in DR-U including Max Power, which obviously uses info.maxPower. as direct data source,

When I run DR-U I can see all the power related metrics  calculated from info.currentPower like current power itself, avg power of last lap, max of last lap power etc.  except for Max Power, which is stuck at zero.

1)

Although we both uses Stryd as running power input,  we seem to use different software versions, diffferent firmware versions, and I guess maybe different versions of hardware itself (see generations).

My primary idea behind this buggy behaviour is that maybe his Stryd broadcasts   both info.currentPower and info.maxPower., while mine broadcasts only info.currentPower.

Can it be a valid idea? 

2)

After thinking a lot about the pehenomenon I had another idea:  would the cause be the difference of the watches, which might have been overlooked by us previously?

Disclaimer: I am not a developer, and not have any real knowledge about data structures within ciq, I just checked his code for a couple of hours.

So I dont exactly know what info.XXXX means, but I think that maybe both info.currentPower and info.maxPower are not something that come from Stryd to some watches, but they are the current and the maximum (native) Running Power calculated by Garmin.

I had this idea, because his watch is FR955, which has native Running Power, but but mine is Fenix6X.

Is it correct? 

• I know my FR955, with the latest firmware, which does include native Running Power.... has a bug in CIQ. We can see averagePower (which matches the native Garmin data field for average power), but CIQ's currentPower remains NULL. This is a major gap. Any CIQ developer that intends to leverage Running Power to perform analytics and deliver some valuable insight to a user... needs access to CurrentPower. AveragePower does not help as it does not capture the valuable fluucations in power moment by moment.

We could derive currentPower from the fractional changes in averagePower, IF averagePower were a floating point value. But it only an integer, so we can't even do that.