App Approval Exception (Rejected app again)

Anyone of the devs here got their app rejected by Garmin? Today I've received my 2nd such rejection.

First Rejection: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzt_6Ld7C-c (Radar)

2nd Rejection : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EJHk0x7lPE (Anchor Alarm)

After the 1st rejection, I am more careful w/ what I develop so no more Radar based stuffs and no scuba diving and the like.

But, anchor alarm got rejected on the same grounds. (anchor alarm just uses GPS signal, sets a geofence against the GPS coordinates and then alerts the user once they are out of the geofence. - essentially the same functionality as Garmin's Own CIQ App --> https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/cf285e5a-07ab-4ff7-9e58-0788650e23d6)

Im wondering now, apps with Maps like DWMap - these enables maps for watches that doesn't support it and if safety awareness is an approval exception, wouldn't these sort of apps also get disapproved? Users use these apps can go down an unintended route (bad map for instance or "hey - a shortcut"). (There's been few reports where users rely too much on GPS and drive off a cliff for instance)

I've reached out to Garmin but was wondering if other devs are facing similar issues and more towards what sort of apps that got rejected. This is to ensure that there's no 3rd time for me and possibly to help other devs from wasting their time.

• Those are pretty cool apps. Did they give you a specific reason for rejection? 

Here are their official rejection reasons:

• We will reject submissions for any content or behavior that we believe is inappropriate
    • If your submission doesn’t function or crashes frequently, it may not be accepted
    • Your submission cannot use GPS data in a way that violates our developer terms of use
    • Do not use trademarked or copyrighted content without permission
  • yes they Gave the reason as being "safety" related and they provided the link to the wiki on approval exceptions. (The specific motion of "radar" was actually due to my app which I have to add, to date, it is working WONDEFULLY on my ageing F3 which I have placed as my bike computer on a handlebar out front mount - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2m5agTtrrk) which really help immensely vs being worn as a watch.

Now I got the 2nd app getting rejected. Again, citing, Safety reasons. (they did mention that their legal department doesn't allow it)

As for Reason #4, there a _lot_ of copycat watchfaces mimicking Rolex and the like.

Anyways - the link to the wiki just doesn't cut it esp after having 2 apps being rejected, So I wold like to know more from other developers what sort of apps are not allowed so that I don't waste any more time on them.  

• I've heard of apps getting rejected for "extreme sports" such as diving, and for #4, I've also seen apps getting pulled due to take down orders from the trademark/copyright owners,

In your case, I'd say it has to do with safety issues, be it radar or "too much drift".  If a boat drifted too much due to a bug your app, Garmin wouldn't want to be involved - but they will stand by their own app.

• yeah, that's actually funny, reading all the reviews of Garmin's own anchor app :)

• Yap..Yap.. so I would like to know where the line is drawn so other than the usual suspect (in the wiki - I'm waiting for them to update w/ verbiage on GPS Based Boating Anchor App), what else has been rejected? Perhaps it would be better for Garmin to update w/ all the apps and such which has been rejected. Saves them time from approving it and save developer even more time to not even go develop it in the first place. (That's all I'm asking right now. What app. What Criteria besides what is in the Wiki)

w/ regards to app bug, a simple battery monitor could also have a bug and show you're left with 20% battery when actually it's 2% (but causing the 0 to be stripped out) and you're left navigating in a forest in the middle of the night.

Or you're cycling in the night in a trail and there's a bug in the bontrager light / UT800 code support that cuts off the light when you're bombing down a  MTB downhill.

Or an app that didn't show correct the HR data interpretation thereby causing runner to over-strain him/herself. 

www.businesswire.com/.../Federal-Court-Denies-Fitbits-Motion-to-Dismiss-Class-Action-Lawsuit-Alleging-Gross-Inaccuracies-and-Recording-Failures-in-PurePulseTm-Heart-Rate-Monitors

• Battery and light failures are unambiguous. That is, there is no question they aren't working.

(You are supposed to have backups for these anyway.)

The problem with other kinds of failures is that they might not look like failures. 

• Im wondering now, apps with Maps like DWMap - these enables maps for watches that doesn't support it and if safety awareness is an approval exception, wouldn't these sort of apps also get disapproved? Users use these apps can go down an unintended route (bad map for instance or "hey - a shortcut"). (There's been few reports where users rely too much on GPS and drive off a cliff for instance)

This is an inherent risk of any map or any GPS.

The only way Garmin can avoid it is to go out of business.

If you are driving off cliffs, that's your own fault. You are supposed to be paying attention to the real world.

• Following the logic of following bad route, the 3rd party mapping app, could have a code issue that renders the GPS data incorrectly and send the user to the wrong place or into harms way. Is Garmin liable? Garmin approved the app for listing in the Garmin Store doesn't mean that they are liable, but in this case, why is it not rejected? possible code bug then safety of user is compromised

• You're certain that you have 20% left and you only need 20mins to get back to your car using the Garmin as your guidance in pitch black conditions. But it was really 2% and then it dies and you're left w/o your trackback and a fast depleting handheld torch.

You're bombing down the hill on your MTB, suddenly the light goes out on your UT800 due to a 3rd party App and you crash over a cliff.