HRV/RR Intervals API

Hello all, new to developing CIQ applications. I've got a Forerunner 945, which is the only thing I'm interested in.

I'm trying to get all day Heart Rate Variability information throughout the day and night. I know that the optical HR sensor isn't really going to give super accurate RR intervals, but this is mostly out of interest. My thought was basically I could have a background process that would periodically (say every 15 minutes) get RR intervals for a few minutes, calculate heart rate variability metrics, and keep a list of HRV in a ring that can be graphed.

I spent a while poking around yesterday though, and the only API I could find that would give RR data was to register a sensor callback, which I think requires an App. I'm hoping to passively record this information without needing to start an App up.

I think this must be possible because the Body Battery uses HRV data for its calculation, but I haven't been able to figure out how to get this info. I also found a previous post that suggested there some code on github that did this, but the link was dead.

Thanks much.

• Body Battery is native to the firmware and is not written in CIQ.  Things are available to native apps that aren't available in CIQ.

As far as a basic design to use a background service, it's part of an app, where the background runs and can pass data back to the main app.

That background can run at most every 5 minutes and run for a max of 30 seconds at a time.