ConnectIQ Simulator does not work on macOS Catalina

Eclipse works great.

ConnectIQ Eclipse plugin works great.

Java works great.

BUT if I try to run the ConnectIQ simulator (ConnectIQ.app) it does not start.

Manually if I run

"sudo ./ConnectIQ.app/contents/MacOS/simulator"

it works, but Eclipse runs it without SUDO so it never works,

Anyone has the solution?

• That would be helpful. If you could email it to [email protected] and mention it needs to get to me I can get a ticket created and we'll investigate it.

• When I got my new mac, I found I had to go into Finder and give read/write permissions to me in all my Garmin folders for everything to work. I don’t know why.

• what do you mean by giving it permissions? Which Garmin folders? I'm currently facing this issue on an Apple Silicon Mac on Sonoma 14.7 and can't get it to work.. Always unable to connect to simulator

• For me it helped to execute this in Terminal: (M1, Mac Os Sonoma 14.6.1)

chmod -R u+rw '/Users/<your user>/Library/Application Support/Garmin' 
  • Tx.. but that didn't help.... (M3 Pro, Sonoma 14.7) :-( 

I've even moved the entire connectiq-mac-sdk-xx folder to /tmp and still I get the unable to connect to simulator issue

• Then it seems its maybe introduced by Sonoma 14.7. I would suggest you follow the hint Kyle gave to proceed:

That would be helpful. If you could email it to [email protected] and mention it needs to get to me I can get a ticket created and we'll investigate it.

• There’s no segmentation fault. Hence no errors  being thrown anywhere that I can see. 

also. I was on Sonoma 14.4 and it didn’t work. So I updated to 14.7 and still no cigar. 

• Is the simulator launching, or is it not opening up at all? If it's not opening up, see if ~/Sim-<username> exists and delete it if so.

• I've had a lot of head banging.... I'll put this here for anyone that has issues moving forward. (note: I've not tested it much, just got it working like 5secs ago)

Setup:

• Apple Silicon OSX Sonoma 14.4 (also upgraded to 14.7 to see if it works)
    • openjdk 21.0.4 2024-07-16 LTS
    • OpenJDK Runtime Environment Temurin-21.0.4+7 (build 21.0.4+7-LTS)
    • OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM Temurin-21.0.4+7 (build 21.0.4+7-LTS, mixed mode)
    • Visual Studio Code 1.9.x
    • ConnectIQ SDK 7.3 (also tried 4.x, 6.x, 7.2)

What I tried:

• Deleted ~/Sim-$username
    • Checked for Folder Permissions (chmod -R u+rw '/Users/<your user>/Library/Application Support/Garmin' )
    • moved connectIQ SDK from Application Support/Garmin to /tmp 
    • checked that there are no spaces in the path to my projects / connectIQ SDK
    • Upgraded from Sonoma 14.4 -> 14.7
    • Tried various ConnectIQ SDKs
    • Used the Command Line to get ConnectIQ to work eg: 
      • ./connectiq-sdk-mac-7.3.0-2024-08-27-36488f6f5/bin/connectiq 

• ./connectiq-sdk-mac-7.3.0-2024-08-27-36488f6f5/bin/ConnectIQ.app/Contents/MacOS/simulator

• Turned On / Turn Off Firewall
    • Allowed Full Disk access to Terminal
    • Run Simulator as superuser (eg: sudo)
    • All of these resulted in the simulator showing up, loading fine but nothing is loaded. no watch face etc. and trying to run with monkey program.prg fenix5xplus all showing as "unable to connect to simulator"

What Finally worked:

• Went into Finder, went to /Users/<your user>/Library/Application Support/Garmin/Sdk/connectIq-sdk-mac-7.xxxx then clicking on the ConnectIQ file (it's the 40+mb app file and not the shortcut) and it prompted "Install Rosetta" - I clicked YES then it did its thing and then when done, I clicked on the Simulator, it loaded up fine (just like before) then did the monkeydo and finally I see my program loaded into the simulator.

Note: Prev I did a (ctrl-i) on the ConenctIQ.app file and did the "Open with Rosetta" but didn't install it straightaway (was out of internet)

Oh.. and one last thing which made it work, I'm pretty sure it's has everything to do w/ it - Go to sleep frustrated and try again 1st thing in the morn.

I'll update here if there's any changes, otherwise you can assume that running it via VSC would work as well.

Note2 : as an experiment, I went to SDK7.2 folder and check that ConnectIQ.app not marked with "open with Rosetta", then clicked on it. It opened up Simulator Fine (like before) and then I went to do monkeydo (with 7.2.x) SDK and it ran.

So....... I'm not sure what's happening. Maybe Apple will default to running it w/ Rosetta? (I'm not gonna mess w/ it anymore now that it works)

• Thanks for all the info. I've created a ticket to take another look at our arm64 build, as it seems like it's not working as intended.