VM with developer tools

Hi!  Garmin, can you release a VM with everything required to develop and build apps? 

One version of Ubuntu or similar, with libraries and build tools? 

It might give a solid boost to the ecosystem if it's easier to get started.

• There is a Windows,Mac, and Linux version of the SDK already.  I forget which linux distro though.

• He's looking for a zero setup distribution... Something that will include Eclipse, the ConnectIQ Plugin, the SDK, and is configured with all of the sample apps.

This is great for people trying things out because they download, install, launch Eclipse, select a project, and click build/run.

• There are several docker images that install the linux connectiq-sdk on github:

https://github.com/lanker/connectiq_docker installs 3.1.9

https://github.com/lanker/connectiq_docker also 3.1.9

There are also a few others that have older SDKs that would need updating.

• This is quite a nice docker image https://github.com/tomfogg/garmin-roundedtext it uses 3.1.8 but still works. It builds an app too and displays it in the simulator but your host has to be Linux and X11 to display the simulator. I use Fedora on my laptop which is wayland, so it would need some tweaks to work for me.

• Wow, thanks for the quick replies!

I tried installing the SDK and starting building, but I had a seemingly endless  list of missing or incomatible libraries and dependencies, and when fixing those, new bugs appeared (I'm running Fedora 32).

The docker image is very interresting, and I'll check it out!

• I'm also using Fedora 32. Here's what I had to do to get the simulator working natively:

$ grep -i sdk .bashrc
    export PATH="$PATH:/home/paul/iqsdk/319/bin"
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/paul/iqsdk/lib
    $ ls -l ~/iqsdk/lib
    total 73000
    -rwxr-xr-x 2 paul paul 25676352 Jun  7 18:17 libicudata.so.57
    -rwxr-xr-x 2 paul paul  2592784 Jun  7 18:17 libicui18n.so.57
    -rwxr-xr-x 2 paul paul  1737376 Jun  7 18:17 libicuuc.so.57
    -rwxr-xr-x 2 paul paul  7513128 Jun  7 18:03 libjavascriptcoregtk-1.0.so.0
    -rwxr-xr-x 2 paul paul   449824 Jun  7 18:17 libjpeg.so.8
    -rwxr-xr-x 2 paul paul 36762696 Jun  7 18:02 libwebkitgtk-1.0.so.0

Slightly unfortunately, I can't remember where I got all the libraries from but they were pulled out of various random binaries.

• Fedora 32 is a nice tool for this task, I am still a beginner and learning, and reading forums definitely helps me to improve.

• Yeah, you can find a lot of interesting things on this topic from people who are sharing their experience. I went on the same way as well. It's a very good way for beginners to learn some stuff from real people's experience, not only from the theory, because the theory is not flexible, as the numerous situations which appears. Look at me for example, when I started to use vcloud, I was on different forums every day, seeking for information and all the possibilities which this program gives.