LightNetwork device battery level

(episode n in my effort to read my connected devices)

I have a Varia UT-800 front light and I'm trying to access the battery level. When the network is formed, I can see the light in the LightNetwork.getBikeLights() list but even though the LightNetwork is a subclass of Device, the getComponentIdentifiers() list is null so I can't use Device.getBatteryStatus(identifier). How is the reading of the battery level done?

Thanks in advance,

Nik

Top Replies

All Replies

• I fail to understand this policy mainly as It is decoding of standard protocols from the established and ratified ANT+ packets.

Also - since these ANT+ packets are standardised, any manufacturer can implement them (which is the case for Wahoo / Karoo and some other head units).

As I said - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  

In addition - these are in the SDK

THREAT_LEVEL_NO_THREAT = 0

THREAT_LEVEL_VEHICLE_APPROACHING = 1

THREAT_LEVEL_VEHICLE_FAST_APPROACHING = 2
    THREAT_SIDE_NO_SIDE = 0
    THREAT_SIDE_RIGHT = 1
    THREAT_SIDE_LEFT = 2
  • I'm not sure what these facts have to do with our policy. Yes, the API has constants that are named THREAT_LEVEL_* and THREAT_SIDE_*, but that doesn't impact the policy itself. We could have called them IXNARG and FOOBAR; the policy would still be that apps designed for safety awareness purposes are forbidden.

This could also be a mandate coming down from the Garmin legal department.

• Makes sense. No way I'd want to trust some unknown 3rd party developer's code to inform me of a threat. False negatives could be very bad. The radar is a game changer on my long solo rides on the shoulder of high speed highways. I've never had an issue. But the radar provides a reliable indicator that a vehicle is approaching and not to move around a pothole or debris into the lane. I always check visually before, but the radar lets me know when NOT to move into the lane. Bad code would essentially make the device unreliable and worthless.

• Devices that don't support maps and have 3rd party apps that fills in the void. Does these make the device possibly unreliable and worthless? Bad code and all? (what about GPS Glitches?)