Garmin Courses

Hi again, would I be correct  in saying, the Courses menu in garmin connect, doesn't let you actually add a course if I have a waypoint list? Instead it's a visual pin dropper on a map only? 

Is there any ergonomic way to input a course from a list in connect I can use later in an  iterator??? I can't find it if there is?

Dropping a pin is quite useless for water activity hence none of the waypoint are Google map visible landmarks? 

• I use BaseCamp to create a list of POIs.

I export the list as a gpx and copy it to \Garmin\NewFiles

I've ever used the gpx file in "POI loader".

What device are you using?

• This isn't really the proper subform for this question. 

The Fenix forum might be better.

It seems pretty usual to add locations from a file.

Don't use Garmin Connect (which seems more for courses).

You should be able to use a fit file too.

• I'm a little confused now.... I want to load a course of waypoints and follow it - in my Connect IQ application.

From what I gather, you cannot do that, you need to load the course into a Gamin activity, and then use iterator to get the following course information from the garmin activity. 

So I need to get the course data , the list of 20 waypoints or however many, into a state where any garmin app that is designed to follow courses, could follow it?

I didn't even know there was a fenix forum..... This is connect IQ discussions right? 

• You aren't really describing your issue clearly.

I'm more familiar with the Edges. With those, you draw a track to create a course file. That can be used to navigate.

There isn't anything I know of that will take a set of waypoints and create a track from it.

Some Garmins (some driving ones and, maybe, hiking ones) can use a "route" file, which is a set of waypoints. The Edges cannot do that.

In IQ, you can iterate through the list of courses. You can also iterate through the locations (POI).

In IQ, the only way you can get to navigation, is by launching a course or launching a location.

If you name you POI so the names indicate the order you want to visit them, you could write an app that lets the user navigate to the next one. There's no facility in IQ to create one course from such a list.

• So it sounds like the options are...in Connect mobile open courses and draw free hand, 

Or

Create the waypoint as POIs and then rename them. Would I then be launching a location to the first poi on the course I wanted to do, and when say distance below x,  or input happens, then change the  poi to the next in the sequence? 

I'm not familiar with creating POIs either, is it possible to enter lots of them easily using lat long input? Or placing a file directly on a device from say a text file ? Or on PC / phone  using connect IQ app setting interface ? 

Sorry if this sounds confusing  - I'm trying to figure out how to get my connect IQ app, to follow a set of waypoints, including how to enter those waypoints the easiest way possible

• You appear to want to do is create a course from a list of waypoints. This isn't an unusual thing to want but it happens to not be something that many things support.

You can do it using Garmin BaseCamp, which is software that runs on a PC (Windows or Mac). It's a bit fussy to use.

If you use an Android device, it might be possible to use Locus maps and brouter to create your course file.

http://brouter.de/brouter/offline.html

You could then just load the course onto your Fenix. You might need to use the gexporter Android app and either the gimporter IQ app or my GRouteLoader IQ app to get the file onto your Fenix.

========================================

People generally have no issues creating courses without needing to use waypoints like this. Have you tried creating a course on the  Garmin Connect or RidewithGPS websites?

========================================

I'm not sure why you are talking about creating an IQ app (which is a lot of work for something complicated).

If you have a course, your Fenix can following (without an IQ app).

(It doesn't seem that loading POI's will help you.)

• Yes thanks for that - i just stumbled across base camp before reading your response, and then I realized that Garmin connect mobile has less feature than Garmin connect on the PC, and in the PC connect you can just type the Lat / Long to create the course using the search window.

The reason for wanting to follow the course in the app, is because the app is all ready completed, and it has several features that do not exist in garmin apps, when doing this type of activity.

So assuming I have a saved course in my watch that supports courses, is there a way to tell my watch via an intent  to do the course, and then my app can get activity info? the only info I need is the Activity.info stuff like distance to next waypoint which I am already getting, but without a waypoint currently selected? 

• You can iterate through the courses (PersistedContent.getCourses();) and launch a course you've found via an intent.

"...but without a waypoint currently selected?"

If you are running a course, there's no "selected waypoint".

There's the "next point", which is either a calculated turn or the next "course point".

And there's the destination.

• Ok, so what do you think, I realize that the garmin follow course.... is actually trying to follow an exact track and alert when you are off....which is not needed in sailing , only steering direct to the next point.

With the follow course, can you change to the next point, for instances during a follow course, where you don't quite get to a point, but want steering to the next?   If the answer is no, then I need to go down the other path as you suggested, of steering to a single waypoint, and the "course"  and waypoint selection automared in the app instead.