Fenix 5X+ firmware 9.10 - returning from activity/app then CIQ watchface may not restart

I've had a couple of users of my CIQ watchface report problems on their Fenix 5X+ since the firmware was upgraded to version 9.10 - and I've experienced the same thing myself once (but apparently they experience it all the time).

After starting an activity or app, then when they exit that and return back to the watchface instead of running my CIQ watchface as expected it runs the stock watchface instead. When they select the watchface again then it runs normally as expected.

The one time I experienced this there was no information in the log file on the watch at all ...

I haven't rebuilt the watchface since before firmware 9.10 was released - so it must be due to some change in the firmware itself which is causing this.

Has anyone else had reports of this happening for other watchfaces?

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Slight smile

• Is it only the f5x+, or is it with the f5+ too?  I'm on 9.10 on my f5+ (it's the watch I wear most of the times), and haven't had a problem with any of my watch faces.

• The 2 reports I've had were both for F5X+, and then my watch (with 1 occurrence) is F5X+ too - I haven't had anyone with F5+ mention any problems.

I'll get the settings that one user has for the watchface so I can test with exactly the same. And I'll suggest he try uninstalling and then reinstalling the watchface.

The most recent report was this:

"Ever since the update to 9.10, when I select it, and push the button for appa, when I get back, it reverts to a srock watchface! Can you please look into that? I am on iphone X with ios 13.2.3, Fenix 5x plus!"

And then extra info in a 2nd email:

"I’ve also experienced the “revert to stock watchface after an activity” in the past, around fw 8. Something! I was going to write to you about it but then it got fixed! Somehow! And yours was not the only watchface that did this! Mind you only some of them did! It began to work again after some watchface updates inclu  from you, without the fenix fw being updated.

Now the same watchfaces (including yours) behave in the “opposite” way! In certain cases when I get a notification or enter a widget, the face gets reverted to stock! Not after an activity! In your watchface’s case basically any action would trigger it’s reverting to stock! In others (like Infocal) which also has this problem ever since 9.10, it stays on until I access a widget and then it goes to stock, but in order for me to get it back this time I actually access  an activity this time and “go back” and the watchface will get back to Infocal! "

So I'm not exactly sure what is going on - but seems like other watchfaces are affected too. I've not used the Infocal one myself.

• Just an update on this problem:

I have a clone of my watchface on the app store, so the user tried installing that - and it all works fine.

He then switched back to the original watchface and that now works fine too! Plus all the other watchfaces on his watch that were affected by this problem are also working ...

So it seems like doing an install of a new watchface has fixed all his problems somehow. But I've no idea how ...

Could something have been corrupted by the 9.10 firmware install? And this has somehow been fixed by a sync or something in the background?