Failed to connect to the simulator on Windows

Hi all,

I am a bit confused. I got a new Laptop (Windows 10 pro, x64) and installed the latest eclipse version (2019-03) and everything worked fine.

A week (or two) later I changed something in my connect IQ code (now SDK 3.0.12 but same issue for 3.0.11, 3.0.10 and 3.0.3) and tried to start the app in the simulator and got the message "Failed to connect to the simulator" in eclipse. I did not found any error log or anything else where I maybe can find what went wrong.

Can somebody help me?

Kind regards
Winder

• Try running the simulator from the command line. Unless you have an ANT stick connected, you should see output like this

[10:26:50.85] d:\eclipse_3.0.x>connectiq-sdks\connectiq-sdk-win-3.0.11-2019-4-30-cd45859\bin\simulator.exe

->message processor init on channel 0

Unable to connect to an ANT device; no devices available

If there is an issue starting the simulator, you should get an error message somewhere. If it starts up fine, then leave it running and try running your app from Eclipse.

*Please* report back what you find, or if you get it working. We occasionally hear about issues like this, but are almost never able to reproduce, so any hint about what is happening would be very useful to us.

• Any changes like activating a firewall?  I know each time I get a new SDK (win10) I get a firewall warning the first time I try to run the sim and have to approve it.

• ->message processor init on channel 0

Unable to connect to an ANT device; no devices available

I get exactly the same. I thought about that before, but didn't find any error..

I tried starting the simulator like this first and then starting eclipse but that does not solve the issue... Still can't connecting to the simulator Disappointed

• I always get the Firewall confirmation dialog as well and always approve it for private and public networks. This also does not help for any SDK...

I had a look to the firewall settings as well but this also looks fine:

Also the task manager looks good in my point of view:

• If you have putty or telnet installed, could you try to connect to localhost:1234? I'm able to establish a connection to the simulator on that port (the connection does not fail and is not closed automatically).

If you haven't already tried it, I'll throw this out there.. It's a bit of a catch-all, but try removing %TEMP%\GARMIN and running the simulator again. It shouldn't have an effect, but at this point I'm just guessing..

• I am not sure how it must look, when the connection was established successfully. When there should be an empty cmd window without any message, then it works:

I also tried to delete the %TEMP%/GARMIN folder, or better did it. But the error is still there...

I have no idea what to do Disappointed

• That is what you'll see if the connection was successful. If there was an issue with the simulator accepting the connection, you'd have got an error at this point.

Since there is no error with the incoming connection to the simulator, my *guess* here is that the problem is with the outgoing connection coming from the Eclipse plugin. I'm not exactly sure which process needs to be allowed through the firewall, but have you tried disabling the firewall for a few minutes to test? If so, does it work? If it works, maybe we should try to figure out what app needs to be allowed to make connections or what is blocking them?

• Sorry, it took a bit longer to answer because of a short-term vacation...

I tried to disable the firewall and run the simulator again. Same issue... Cant connect to it...

I also tried to reinstall Eclipse into a different folder and redownloaded the SDK. Same issue...

• I'm currently suffering from "Failed to connect to the simulator" on my Mac. I'm able to run the sim from the command line, so can proceed OK, but I wonder if there's any info I can provide whilst in this state to assist debugging?

• Hi ,

I had a second look at this and tried the telnet again. It seems I didn't make it correctly at the beginning.

When I try the telnet to localhost:1234 it is trying to establish the connection but then nothing happens...

when I try the same in windows safe mode, the telnet works!

then I tried to stop the firewall, the Anti Virus (ESET) but nothing helps... Do you have an idea?

Kind regards

Winder