MyFitnessPal App/Widget for VivoActive

How hard would it be to create a MyFitnessPal Widget. All I need it Total Calories/ Calories Consumed/ Calories Remaining.

It could either be retrieved from the Garmin Connect App, or the site.

Any app developers willing to try :)
  • I'd also like to see this on the Fenix 3. Just tell me how many calories I have left, that would be good enough for me.
  • Yeah, this would be awesome. Even if it just pulled the calorie info from garmin connect, it would be great
  • As a MyFitnessPal user I would also dig this. I put in a request to them for an API key so here's hoping I'll get accepted for that; if so this should be straightforward to develop a simple MyFitnessPal widget/app.
  • Great News! Thanks for taking this forward, hopefully they will provide what you need. Without the API, I assume you can't get the data? No way to pull right from the Connect app?

Thank You!!
  • I think some of it would be available from the Connect App API, but Garmin charges a large chunk of change for that ($5000). Yikes.
  • I actually have this in the form of a widget on my VA. But Android side implementation is... not optimal, to put it mildly. I used restlet library and created Android REST server that responds to Vivoactive makeJsonRequest, and then I used jsoup to login and parse MyFitnessPal web page. Refreshing widget data is slow (10+ seconds) so I save last result for faster display - refresh is manual.

Implementation is currently quick and dirty and I currently don't have time to polish it and then publish it somewhere. But I am willing to share implementation details if it would help someone.

Here's how it looks with some test data:
  • Looks great, even more than I was looking for. Hopefully someone can publish this awesome widget.
  • Sorry for being offtopic. Yesterday I started to play with the connectiq api. When you connect to an external application like myfitnesspal, how do you handle the username / pwd etc? Do I need to implement an android app where the user have to provide his/her credentials for MyFitnessPal? And all the communication is go through the mailboxiterator? I would like to create a todoist widget.
  • When you connect to an external application like myfitnesspal, how do you handle the username / pwd etc?
    I created companion android app, because I don't have MyFitnessPal API access so I parse html on android side and return only relevant data to VA. I also didn't use mailboxes but created android REST server app.

d.
  • I created companion android app, because I don't have MyFitnessPal API access so I parse html on android side and return only relevant data to VA. I also didn't use mailboxes but created android REST server app.

d.

Thank you!