Accelerometer from HR belt

Hello everyone,

I am thinking about creating an app displaying feedbacks of the horizontal acceleration of the body (as a proxy for the center-of-gravity) per running stride.

Is there a possibility to get raw acceleration data from the Garmin Tri HR belt?

What is the maximum recording frequency?

Last but not least, does this belt also contain an inclinometer to correct for the trunk angle in order to get a "true" horizontal acceleration?

Thank you very much for your answers!
  • Is there a possibility to get raw acceleration data from the Garmin Tri HR belt?

No.
  • Could this data be obtained from a Foot Pod or Running dynamics device? I've been thinking on the same approach (gather accelerometer data from other devices) for counting reps.
  • No. You only get what the corresponding ANT+ profile provides, and even that might not be available in full to CIQ apps.
  • Correct me if I am wrong but I think that I saw the possibility to get raw accelerometer data from the watch itself. Is Garmin providing a reason for not giving access to accelerometer data from the HR belt?
  • Correct me if I am wrong but I think that I saw the possibility to get raw accelerometer data from the watch itself.

Correct. This is possible.

Is Garmin providing a reason for not giving access to accelerometer data from the HR belt?

External sensors communicate with the outside world via the ANT+ protocol, using different ANT+ profiles for whatever purpose is necessary. None of the existing ANT+ profiles provides such thing as raw acceleration data. That would require to develop a completely new profile, and given that ANT+ has a very limited bandwidth, I'm not even sure if the update frequency of such data would be practical.
  • Hi!

Racefox (Sweden) has created an app similar to what you are mentioning.

Check it out if you're interested @ https://racefox.com/en/home