Solution to measure mining drill hole depth with some water slurry at bottom of hole

Hi I am looking for initial technology advise and potentially developers/engineers to design and manufacture a prototype etc.

We are sourcing a depth measuring device solution (GPS included and other if available) to be fitted to a mining drill which will measure the absolute hole depth (not including any seeping water) after the bore drill hole has been completed. 

The solution application is for measuring drill machine hole bore holes directly after drilling the bore hole. So, when the drill bit is pulled up to top of hole and retracted slightly, we need to be able to directly measure the hole depth. So, what we would like the sequence to be is for the hole depth measuring device be fitted to the Autonomous drill machine, it will automatically extend out over the top of the drilled bore hole and measure the hole depth. The actual hole depth then will be transmitted to the Autonomous drill machine onboard ECU/ECM for next autonomous action to be processed which will be either; 1. Move drill machine to next bore hole to be drilled or 2. Redrill current bore hole. There will be some simple software dev programing to be done between the measuring device and the drill ECM/ECM which we can arrange later once we find a suitable measuring device that can accurately achieve the above.

The drill blast hole average depth from soil level top (bench level) is 12 meters to 25 meters (Average 15 meters) depending on country and ore type. The depth range is from between 6 meters to 40 meters. But is the depth measuring device is restricted by certain depths then for now lets concentrate on the average of between 12 to 25 meters.

The bore hole average diameter is between 229 mm and 270mm. The hole diameter range is between 80mm to 350mm depending on country and soli material type to be blasted etc

Now one main point in regards to the technology that is to be proposed, is that some drilled bore boles may have some water seeping into them and water levels can go up to 3m, 4m even 10 meters in some cases. So with this, the solution proposed, must to be able to measure through the water so to get actual bottom of hole drill depth so that we can confirm complete top to bottom hole depth.

This is a typical blast hole drill machine that the measuring device would be installed onto. There are many drill brands but this is quite a standard brand and model. Should be able to be retrofitted to a range of OEM drill types over time. https://youtu.be/9LCiXDWML3s

Contact via email: [email protected]

Please let me know if you have further questions. tks

• No chance with GPS in a drill hole, and even less chance  if it is partially filled with water. And equally low chance with radio or laser under those conditions. Your best bet is measuring the length of the drilling shaft mechanically.

• Hi Trux thanks for this. We can get the GPS from the Drill and correspond that to the actual drill hole if need be. What we really need asap is to be able to measure the drilled hole depth. Yes we already know the dril bit length etc and the depth the drill bit drilled to. However, the reason why we need the hole depth measured after the drill bit has pulled out is because there are a lot of drill hole cave-ins where by, either the soil type just caves in at some sections of the drill hole due to that soil type or caves-in mainly down the lower part of the drill hole due to the drill bit pulling out. This causes soil cave-in and we need to know how much it has caved-in, so we can make an informed on the spot decision to either re-drill the hole because it has caved in more than the desired amount or move to next hole to drill. Let me know if anyone has any ideas on the best way to achieve this even if it requires one, two or three or more technologies to measure to the bottom of hole and through water and if we can measure the water level as well that would be an additional bonus but not critical. just hole depth measured from top of hole to bottom of hole soil level and should be able to accurately measure through water that has seeped in as well. thank you

• We can get the GPS from the Drill and correspond that to the actual drill hole if need be.

You can perhaps get the GPS coordinates at the top of the drill hole, but there is no chance to get any usable GPS signal from a drill hole several meters deep, and the EM waves do not propagate through water, so EM waves cannot be used to measure the depth under the water surface. Besides that, the vertical accuracy of GPS is miserable even under excellent GPS signal conditions.

The only common technology (apart from a mechanical tool) that could "perhaps" work, is ultrasound, though it would be challenging anyway. 

Anyway, this is not something that could be developed with the Connect IQ technology on a Garmin watch. I rather recommend contacting manufacturers specialized in mining and geoindustry equipment.

The only way you could measure the depth of the drill hole using a Garmin watch, would be by using one of the Garmin Descent (MK1, MK2, MK3 or G1) diving models, suspended on a rope together with a weight, and slowly sunk to the bottom of the hole. The watch would then record the depth till the surface with the barometric altimeter, and then the depth of the water column with the depthmeter. However, it is questionable whether the accuracy and the reliability of the barometric altimeter would be sufficient for your purpose. 

• Hi I am looking for initial technology advise and potentially developers/engineers to design and manufacture a prototype etc.

This is way out of scope for this subforum (or any other subforum here).

This subforum is about writing software for devices.

(In any case. you aren't going to get any sort of GPS reception in a deep hole.)

• The only way you could measure the depth of the drill hole using a Garmin watch, would be by using one of the Garmin Descent (MK1, MK2, MK3 or G1) diving models, suspended on a rope together with a weight, and slowly sunk to the bottom of the hole.

You don't need the watch. Just measure how much "rope" is let out. 

• You don't need the watch. Just measure how much "rope" is let out

That's what I suggested in my first post - measuring the depth by measuring the length of the drilling shaft Wink And as well in my second post, telling that measuring it mechanically is the simplest solution. For some strange reason insisted on using Garmin for measuring the depth, hence the proposal. If it really has to be done with Garmin (with our without Connect IQ), then the solution I proposed is the only one I can imagine.

• ok understood thank you. Yes they are currently measured by hand with a special built tape measure but only after the fact once the drill has left the immediate area and its safe for workers to enter the area and start to measure all of the holes by hand. We really need to measure from the top of the hole without any human intervention manually getting out of the drill cabin due to safety and operational issues. Also, by measuring automatically and digitally after the drill has pulled out of hole but drill still in position, then the drill operator can make a decision to either re-drill the hole due to soil cave in when the drill bit was retracted or move to next new hole to drill. We need almost instant ( hopefully within 5 +/- mins) drill hole depth information so the operator can make quick informed decisions. thank you for your input to date its muchly appreciated. Do you think that any other section of Garmin could help with this requirement using another of their technologies available?

• I suspect this application is not within anything Garmin is doing. Garmin does have depth finders but the may need to be submerged and in an open area.

I doubt anybody in these forums would be able to do much for you.

Seems like you want magic.

• If there was no water you could use a barometric sensor.  I use this in one of my watchface apps to measure the height of a building for example.  It sounds like you need something like a magnetometer which works by measuring the force of gravity.  See https://scintrexltd.com/  ( I don't work for this company nor do I have any interest in it other than knowing of it)