Vasa Ergometer (with ANT+ Head Unit) IQ App - willing to pay for development

I am looking for a Garmin IQ Developer who would be willing to build a native IQ App for Vasa's Swim Ergometers that have the ANT+ head unit. You can create a custom workout profile on watches and bike computers (I have tested the Edge 520, 830, 1030 and 1030 plus, Fenix 5X, Fenix 6, Marq Athlete and all work using the instructions linked below), but the workout is always profiled as an indoor bike workout and has to be manually changed to Swim. (The data is "re-analyzed" and shows up as an equivalent swim workout that just happens to have a power profile.)

From this page (https://vasatrainer.com/faqs/power-meters-ant/): 
"Your Garmin will think the SwimErg is a “bike” as our technology interfaces using ANT+ Bike Power Profile.  Therefore it’s essential to set the proper wheel circumference.  Here are the steps to manually enter your wheel size on a Garmin 920XT:

1. Press Shortcut (three dots on bottom left)
    2. Press ENTER to unlock screen
    3. Press Shortcut
    4. Select Settings
    5. Select Sensors and Accessories
    6. Select “Add” and choose “PWR” 
    7. Once it pairs (note: you may need to turn Vasa ANT+ on & move the flywheel by pulling the cord for it to pair), then scroll down to “Wheel Size” to set.
    8. Select Manual
    9. Enter 100mm as the size

NOTE: If you have different Garmin device, the steps may be similar.  Contact Garmin Support for specifics on your model."

I am looking for an app that will "simply" classify this workout as a swim workout automagically, so that I don't have to go through and manually adjust Garmin Connect (and thus TrainingPeaks and/or Strava).

If there are any developers willing to do this, please respond to this thread and we can talk offline.

• hey guys. i found the ANT+ power meter data field by takura87 https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/70f1aea3-f1d3-47f6-b7aa-23f029a75e3b does record display & power in open water swim mode. doesn't seem to work in pool mode.  i think it can use its own power track or the standard one. if you choose the standard field it definitely shows in garmin connect and goes through into golden cheetah and so TP as well. (I have tested this a bit but not extensively)

you could probably use ismoothrun on Apple watch with an ANT/be bridge (ping me if not and I will try to sort it out) eg the one by NPE

• This was actually my datafield which https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/d7b3918b-d4fa-4830-8da3-90b906de0b27 was built to cater for devices that didn't have native power support. since it's a datafield, you could put it into the Swimmer profile and then have the power data saved and uploaded as a swim I think. 

There may be some issues w/ the datafield, I'm not entirely sure since it (last) worked when I was developing/testing it. Will need to re-look at it.

•   Guys, please take a look at the updated BikePowerVA Data Field. Pop it into one of the native garmin profiles (eg: Swim) and give it a whirl.

things to note:

1) beta (naturally)
    2) I tested it on 3 diff PMs (Crank PM / Pedal PM / Trainer PM) and it seems to work (XPWR)

3) Left Right power balance is enabled (XPB)

4)  Cadence is enabled (XCAD)

5) I enabled FR945 / Fenix5x plus / Fenix6Pro based on the above conversation at least 2 of you guys have the FR945 so could be a good bet.

How to use:

Please ensure that you DO NOT pair the Power Meter (or in your case, your VASA) to your watch natively. (The Data Field will search for and pair to it directly using direct ANT+ connections. If you pair it w/ Garmin natively, the data field won't be able to see it. If you need to, you could specify the Vasa ANT+ ID within the data fields' app settings)

I've not done the 100m thing which  was saying or the swim length or such. Let me know how it goes.

• ok just had a play on FR945

as expected on edge820: as a basic bike pm in bike mode I record this all from the vasa: speed, distance, power (L and R) and cadence. this all goes through to Garmin connect and all through to golden cheetah (but recorded as a bike workout)

in swim mode with the Bike Power (VA / VA3 / VA4 / Venu / FR Watches) ciq field on FR945 I get power IQ and cadence IQ as the only recorded fields. however it does DISPLAY LR power IQ (XPB) correctly during the workout.

so

I hoped to get power balance RECORDED

it would be nice to get speed and distance as well.note that as I will be using a FR945 the FR945 will record speed and distance from my arm movements and they will likely be very different from the (correctish) ones on the VASA.

i think time is also broadcast (not sure). it would be time in the sense of unpaused time, though I guess I don't want that at all, someone else might.

for a moment I thought I could pair to the vasa pm directly for speed/distance but I think that would then mean the ciq field wouldn't work ie wouldn't share the ANT+ sensor with the data field.

• my personal use case for this is the FR945 and simlpy as a recording device on my wrist. i wont look at it at all, 

i would look at the data on the edge 820 (on the floor) but just the normal ANT+ PM data (and not save the workout on the edge)

• Haven't had a chance to "play with the above" with the Fenix and 920xt .... I agree with 5krunner in that I don't realy need to watch the watch ;) ... I have been using the 920 however on Bike as my "computer  so *could* use to track...However realy easiest to watch the ERG readouts on the VASA itself ...then Look at the recorded info in Connect & Strava.    Again the Normal use with the VASA mimics Pool for intervals but Open for the lack of laps. sets typically would be based on the displayed distance (VASA) with rest period pauses using Lap button (?) and speed/distance as per the VASA vs pool lap distance as is done in the Swim mode "indoor".   Having L/R balance as per same with dual peddle PMs would be a "Nice" as if able to see post WKO for watching in real time not realy needed (again can watch on VASA screen.) 

Not interested in custom WKOs  I'm sure others would want but I don't use foir Run/Bike etc anyway

I guess My wishlist would focus on being able to Record the data for Viewing later as IF a Swim...with the unique PWR data as a bonus and the ability to pause/start rest interval recording su speed/time metrics not contaminated by rest time... Ie now get a split  of Xave min per 100yrd of likre: 4min/100  yet "moving" @ 1:28/100y  when "translated" to a Swim in Connect -> Strava   On screen, whether watch or computer, is secondary need and am OK with limited realtime view options as long as the above tracked and lap/pause functions enabled.

• Ill have to try to not enable...  I was having problems of constant ant+ dropping (disconnecting after ~2 min ) that now that it seems to be working I don't want to futz with it !

•  It was a "proof of concept" to see what works. The Dist  / LR power can be recorded if the VASA broadcasts it and I can decipher it (not having a vasa is going to be part of the problem as I won't know what's it's transmitting)

the initial data field record Cad and Power and plots it because this is what I enabled it to record and plot :-p

I'm happy to hear the LR power is displayed correctly (yay!)

Yeah.. LR Power can be recorded, Since you've verified that it works, I can see when I have the time to put that in.

As for Speed and Dist, again - sure.. like what the OP posted, just need to set a "wheel size"  of 100mm correct? These can be done as "app settings" but I need to know what the VASA is broadcasting. (as in "what page") does any of you know what the VASA is broadcasting as? Is there something listed on the Manual etc? The website says it's transmitting as Bike Power

Currently I am deciphering Page 0x10 which gives me the Power / LR Power / Cadence. Unfortunately my wahoo blue sc from like 8 years ago decided to die when I was halfway developing my iOS App (https://apps.apple.com/us/app/breakaway-indoor-training/id1541280053) otherwise It would be easier for me to work on it. 

Yeah.. Once you pair the VASA directly to the watch, I'm not able to get any data from it anymore. 

I won't be using the time data from the VASA. You want to lap, you need to press the watch as well. 

w/ regards to "not looking at the data at all" and "simply a recording device" - Currently Strava does not even read developer FIT fields so... only using It on Golden Cheetah? 

one more thing, jst w/ the current featureset, it's all good right? You get the workout recorded as a swim (not futzing around w/ changing it n Garmin Connect). You get Power / Cad recorded into the FIT file and viewable on Garmin Connect. Please verify. 

Wishlist is Speed / Dist and LR power correct? Not exactly sure how to plot or store LR power tho for GC to interpret or Golden Cheetah for that matter (do you have some workouts in Golden Cheetah w/ L R Power you can share?)

• I'm sorry.. I m lost in your descriptions :-p please dumb it down. (English is not my main language :-p)

• thank you for all your efforts

1. yes the vasa broadcasts as a bike power meter.

2. yes wheel size needs to be 100mm

3. yes golden cheetah (sort of) works and I imagine other places too will like training peaks

4. yes it all looks good ie recorded as a swim with no changing of sport required

5. LR power should be same as the ANT+ spec for bikePMs ???

if you email me on info@

then my site I can send you some files.