Freestyle Libre NFC Tag readout

Well here's an idea: For the past years the NFC tags made by Abbott called "FreeStyle Libre" allow diabetes patients to get a readout of their glucouse levels using their mobile phone or dedicated NFC scanner. 

Since the Fenix, Venu, ... watches contain an NFC reader, it should be a small feat to enable the NFC reader and read the latest value of the the NFC patch (if both are properly documented and designed ofcourse)

I took a quick look at the available documentation made available by Garmin and saw no mention of the NFC specs. Is this feature not available for non-Garmin developers? When browsing this forum I only saw one other thread about this, made by a seemingly frustrated german individual, so I thought i'd bring it up again.

If needed, we could team up in developing such an app. My coding skills should be adequate.

Kind regards,

Robin

• The Garmin watches to not contain any NFC reader.  The two options for integrating sensors is either ANT or BLE.  ANT is available to developers on nearly all of the CIQ supported watches.  BLE is only available on some of the newest devices that support CIQ 3.1.  Sorry to say the Freestyle Libre is probably not compatible with the Garmin watches.

• Very sad to hear my edge 1030 can not read the new abbott free style sensor type. Not interested to develop sports for diabetics?

• I am user of garmin watches from garmin Fenix 1. I am diabetic and it would be great that garmin nfc watches support Abbott librelink. 1000's sport diabetics may buy one. 

• You can use the datafield (search for Nightscout in the store) so if you wear a FL sensor paired with a BLE transmitter (miaomiao2...) or even if you wear a FL2 and in both cases you use Xdrip+ you can sync the data readings every 5 minutes in your device's display. That is what I do and works perfectly. In fact, I bought a Garmin because I read it could be done (always, with a paired smartphone, which is the collector of data). Yes, you need to wear the smartphone and pair it with the Garmin, but it is anyway a good practice when practicing sports

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/76fb451b-b76c-4452-93ad-f9c713c471a5

https://apps.garmin.com/es-ES/apps/2be02a1d-1d52-4db6-8bd5-6f66fe5ca992#0

• Hello, could you go back to this idea? I would also be interested in joining to develop an app that measures glucose from nfc. Thanks

• I am also interested in this feature, even if not a direct NFC read, maybe just a sharing of data points between the smart phone apps (1.e.: Garmin Connect LibreLink or Libre2 app, possibly even through MyFitnessPal and/or Strava), but definitely a widget for the watch face (possibly even a monochromatic widget for some of the lower end watches like the Instinct series).  Should also support watch and phone alerts for emergency conditions like hypoglycemia.

• Guys: check the links above. There are 3-4 watchfaces and data fields. A widget might be innecessary. I personally use the watchtface and datafield created by andreas-may. The  watchface is the only one I found that is capable to sync Xdrip+ the data of hear rate and steps.

I think you can use NightScout or Xdrip+ for syncing data. NS needs a permanent internet connection, whereas Xdrip+ (the most widely used 3rd party app used by the opensource community) can sync with Garmins cycling computers and smartwatches. It's very straightforward.

NFC is not implemented in Garmins directly, because there is no way to use Garmins as collectors. You need a smartphone as collector.

Garmin watch will receive notifications of high/lows and predictions of going low directly from xdrip+. I've using this setting for years and works smoothly even when sleeping. I recommend to give them a try

• Hi, I'm trying to get blood glucose readings on my Edge 820. I am not very tech savvy so am struggling a bit, what steps do an need to go through? Do I need Nightscout, xdrip+ or both? How do I sync everything? Any help you can provide would be really appreciated.

• Yes, you need one of them because you need something to act as collector. Usually, you need to:

a) have a NS site on internet, or a Xdrip+ app in your smartphone, or a Diabox app (which has a toggle to communicate with Garmins and some other smartwatch

b) set the app accordingly in the Garmin device. It means that if you will use NS site, you should set the site in the device by following the instructions in the garmin store. the same goes for Xdrip+. Normally, each datafield/watchface/widget has its own settings that should be set in Garmin Connect app in the smartphone.

c) you need to open and maintain the Garmin Connect app active in the background (and be sure that Android does not kill the app in the background: set "not to optimize battery" and when you click in the smartphone to see what apps are opened in the background be sure to select the padlock and set it to close). The Garmin will maintain open the communitation with watch/cycling computer.

d) if you use Xdrip+, then go to settings-->settings between apps, and set the toggle on in the "local broadcasting", set showed glucose, broadcast compatibles, accept glucose/treatments/calibrations, web xdrip service and open web service. The password for the open web service should be exactly the same as you set for the NS API site). these settings will be responsible of sending glucose readings to the Garmin Connect app in your smartphone and from it to the Garmin devices. Needless to say you must bring your smartphone with you for this to work, because the smartphone is the collector and it transmits locally to other apps in your smartphone. The connection between smartphone and Garmins are done by pairing devices to the smartphone, so you need also to pair all the Garmins with your smartphone.

My recommendation: use any app in the smartphone as collector, be this xdrip+ or diabox or whatever. But do consider that you need this type of open source collectors. Librelink app cannot be supported because it is proprietary software that cannot be adapted for this.

If you use Libre-2 versions, there are some ways to have a minimalistic setting without any bridge on the L2 sensor

see here as an example: https://www.minimallooper.com/post/how-to-setup-freestyle-libre-2-and-oop2-to-use-a-native-bluetooth-connection-in-xdrip

Hope it helps. : should you have any problem, please, share your settings and let us know more about your devices

this setting radically changed my life and cycling to me ;)

• Thanks - sorry for delay in responding, have been off the bike for a while. Will have another go at some point and see if I can get everything working!