Data field idea: Elevation difference data field

Could some lovely developer create a simple data field calculating elevation difference between my current point altitude and altitude of start of activity/start of a lap? 

There are quite a few data fields calculating difference between total asc and total dsc but no app calculating what I mentioned above.

i.e. I start and activity at an altitude of 1000 m, ascend to 2000 m and descend to 1500 m. The data field will show "500 m" which is absolute difference between starting point and current location >> DATA FIELD VALUE = STARTING POINT ALTITUDE - (minus) CURRENT ALTITUDE. That simple. 

I would like to see a feature that would reset the [starting point altitude] to altitude recorded at the time of Lap button press (=start of new lap) or when "G-button" (pause) is pressed. There used to be a similar app in the CIQ store - this one: https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/2ce8bd83-62e2-4a74-a272-f6444243c788 - however the app is not compatible with Fenix 6 series and the developer is not available (I sent him couple of emails without any response) at all. 

Will be happy if some developer writes this data field. Will be happy to help with testing as well as donate development when the data fields finds its way to CIQ. 

• curious.. what do you use such a field for?

• Pretty simple: To be able to see how many meters remaining are on a certain mountain I am climbing.

I.e. I reset the data field (either by pressing pause or lap) at the beginning of an ascent. Let's say at the altitude of 1000m. I know I need to climb to 2000 m. So 1000 m ascent. Like this I will be able to see how many meters I have already climbed (no matter if there is any downhill along the section of the trail) - at 1576 m altitude the data field will be showing 576 m. Just an absolute difference between starting and current altitude.

I was using this a lot on my very old Suunto Vector watches which had this funcionality. The same with Suunto Traverse and also Fenix 5X DF which I mentioned above. Sad to see there is no data field like that for F6 series. Really useful data field, trust me :-) 

• interesting but I won't say that it's useful data field. I do trail runs and it's not really a feature I use to be honest. Then again, my Fenix series w the "climb pro" does have the feature to show the elevation remaining till I reach  the top of the climb.

Having said that - to each their own.

I'll look into implementing this. 

• I do a lot of trekking in the Himalayas. Every year about 3 treks and 6000m+ peaks and I can say this iis really useful data field for that purpose.

You're right, Cilimb Pro does (nearly) the same however only when following course (which I seldom do in Nepal in order to preserve battery). Moreover Climb Pro does not allow you to choose which climbs you want to see on the screen and in my experience from many other hikes and treks here in Asia (Taiwan) when there are so many ups and downs it is not really useful. Therefore I would like to use the simple "alti-difference" data field.

• okay.. - to each their own.:-p

Have sent you a PM