App Idea: Strength - Repetition: Speed, acceleration and power output.

What

An app that measures rep speed, acceleration and power output. 

Use case:

• Brad wants to track his rep speed for a set of deadlifts with 80% of his previous max for 5 reps. He wants to see if his strength and power has increased in the last training cyclus without doing a full out max test.
  • Gillian wants do see at what weight her squat starta to slow down in order to better see which percentage of her max she should train with in order to improve.
  • Steve wants to see how many centimeters/inches up from his chest in the benchpress that the bar starts to slow down. So he can train that specific part of the lift more.
  • Eric does not want to train with a specific rep range, so he just wants to get a notification on his wrist when when the rep speed falls below a certain point.

Minimal viable product

• Show speed measurement on watch face and/or garmin connect.
  • Show acceleration on watch face and/or garmin connect.

Additional features:

Accelerometer features:

• Being able to input the weight of what is lifted in order for the watch/app to calculate and display power.
  • Being able to log which exercise you just did or are about to do, with rep count, speed, acceleration and power data. 
  • Being able to view a speed and acceleration curve/graph with measured distance. (Needs input of arm, torso and leg length, and to know which exercise you are performing)

Heart rate features:

• Tracking intra set heart rate, rest periods and heart rate in rest periods.
  • Being able to set a threshhold for the heart rate in the rest period. Ex. Notification to begin next set when the heart rate hits a certain mark or when the heart rate has decreased xx amount from previous set.
  • Being able to set when the exercise/workout should be over based on when the heart rate is not able to recover quick enough inbetween sets.

Competing products

• fitro dyne 960-1200$.
• micro muscle lab 1000-1250euro.
• gymaware 2000$.
• ballistic measurement system, unknown price.
• maxrack powerfactor, 129$
• myotest 400-1200$

1. I had a brief look at (one of) the products You mentioned. They seem to be really professional oriented with much post analysis done / required. 

The prices for those equipment is also so dear. I do wonder how many people would pay for such software on the watch. USD100 per user? 

The heart rate threshold thing is already something that Garmin does after each workout  (2min after stopping the workout)

• Hi

Yes, products with similar functionality is expensive and they are profesionaly oriented towards strength athletes (weightlifters, powerlifters, crossfit and other strength related sports)

It is an increasing market, and I do believe that it is something the average gym goer could have alot of fun with as well.

The price that competing products are listed at is very high, and are by no means meant as a guideline for how to price an app with similar functionality should be priced. Ideally I think it should be free or cost no-more than the existing apps for Garmin which lies between 2-5usd.

There is alot of post analysis opportunities, but it is not required. 

Such an app could be released in two iterations or in two seperate versions (one of in workout use, and one for post-workout analysis)

• In it's simplest form calculating your power output or speed of a rep would be useful to judge how heavy you are going to lift in the current workout or how many sets you do. This is something that would be useful for everyone that lifts weights.
    • The post-analysis part comes into play when you want to analyse where your lifts slows down and change your programming to improve those specific areas. It is not a required feature and could/should be added in later iterations of the app. This is more useful for the experienced lifters.

• Thanks for the detailed reply. 

Free or between 2 to 5 bucks you say. I don’t believe the ROI in spending substantial amount of time to develop this app is worth it frankly. 

• I would estimate the MVP to 1-2 days. Say 3 days to just figure out the flow first. But since you are worried about devtime, then we can say an entire working week.

• 1 day of more detailed speccing and creating flows
    • 1 day of development
    • 1 day of testing

As for business model, Strength training+ has been downloaded 139364 times and costs 2$, that is 278 728usd. And that is one of many strength apps for the Garmin. If that is not enough to motivate you for maximum a week of work then I dont know what is.

Anyway, it was just an idea.For all I know the sensors in the Garmin watch arnt good enough to measure this anyway.

• It takes more effort than that. Supporting the Stryd Run Power Sensor took nearly a month of development work in which a lot of it was spent making sure the layout is good across all the diff watches and diff font sizes and screen sizes which in turn made layout a considerable effort. 

Downloads does not equal to paid users and the way downloads are counted in the Garmin app store are not really unique. (it includes app updates downloads and such)

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/542affcf-e440-43d4-a118-5aa3bba2f14e has over 40K downloads. Guess how much is actually paying users.

With regards to the watch sensors, I would definitely agree. 

1) it's not purpose built

2) when it's not officially supported by Garmin, it can get pulled (there was a multitude of Dive apps before it got pulled)

• Ahh, so Garmin lets the community develop apps and when something is to good then they pull it from the store and launch their own product to cater said needs. Like Marq Diver? I guess it is similar practice on other platforms aswell.

Oh well, atleast i've put the idea out there. Maybe someone will have it as their passion project some time.

• This is a very interesting concept concerning the speed, acceleration and possibly power.  I may explore these functions further with my Strength+ App.  

contact me using the contact developer link or through the messaging.

apps.garmin.com/.../2b2e6e1c-81d2-48b5-8f1b-9ca7c77c3b96