This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Export Sleep Data to Excel

I want to analyze my sleep patterns and would like to do it using Excel. Currently I can only seem to export the date and how many hours I have slept: not much usage.

I can see hours, levels and movement on the app on my phone. How do I export all of the data?

Thanks.
  • Export Sleep Data to Excel

Ok. You say I can't export the data to excel.

How do I get access to MY data?
  • You can view your data on your phone.
  • Export Sleep Data to Excel

You can view your data on your phone.

the app on my phone only show a rather small diagram of sleep and/or movement patterns.

I would like to have the data set so I can use it.
  • See ASmugDill's post above ;)
  • How do I get access to MY data?
    Take care not to confuse (or conflate) privacy rights over personal information – which aforementioned sleep data constitutes – with ownership rights.

Even if one views Garmin as a software-as-a-service provider with respect to Garmin Connect, to which users upload their data files (produced by devices to which they have clear title of ownership), and hence the ownership rights of the content of those files remain with the users, you ought to keep in mind that your Garmin device does not perform any analysis of movement data it captured for the purposes of sleep monitoring. Garmin Connect alone performs the analysis in that regard on the uploaded movement data to generate reports, hence the content of the sleep reports is original (or ‘new’), and the user who did not produce or upload it does not have inherent ownership rights to it.

As a matter of course, the user to which the reports pertain is granted ongoing licence to access and use the content produced by Garmin's cloud-based service; however, Garmin is not merely the custodian and manager of user-supplied sleep data who is obliged to do the user's bidding. Neither said licence (which would be subject to the user agreement for the Garmin Connect service), nor privacy rights over personal information (which would be accorded and protected by applicable laws and regulations), would give the user any legal, commercial or moral right to obtain the content in particular representations or formats outside of what the SaaS provider already offers. There is also no inherent guarantee or obligation with regard to integration or interoperability with other data management/analysis tools or platforms that the user may prefer to use.

the app on my phone only show a rather small diagram of sleep and/or movement patterns.
    The equivalent diagram presented is larger when you access Garmin Connect online in a browser on a computer or tablet.

I would like to have the data set so I can use it.
    You cannot obtain it.
  • Here it is three years later and we still can't export sleep data. I am seeing a sleep doctor this afternoon and would really like to have shown him a chart of my sleep patterns. It's why I bought this particular watch, after all.

• Then screenshot a view of a chart on connect.garmin.com

• I guess I found the way to what you (as well as me) are looking for:

1) Go to https://www.garmin.com/en-US/account/datamanagement/exportdata/
    2) Click on Request data export
    3) You will obtain an e-mail with a link to an export of a ZIP file with all data Garmin stores on you
    4) In the ZIP file, navigate to DI_CONNECT/DI-Connect-Wellness

There you can find a file with the filename ending sleepData.json, which contains all your daily sleep data in seconds broken down to Deep, Light, REM and Awake. It also contains your sleep SpO2 and sleep respiration measurements.

Use JSON to CSV/Excel converter to get your Excel. (https://www.convertcsv.com/json-to-csv.htm)

Voilà!

• And if you do not want to wait for the return for the Data Export Request, that sometimes may take a few hours, you can do it instantly in the following way:

There is no direct export function for the sleep data, but you can export it by using the URL shown below, in JSON format. Replace the XXXXXXXXXXXXX with your User ID as found at the end of the address line of your public profile (after clicking your avatar in Garmin Connect Web). And replace the date, with the date of your interest. The last parameter has some impact on the granularity of the data.

connect.garmin.com/modern/proxy/wellness-service/wellness/dailySleepData/XXXXXXXXXXXX?date=2020-07-16&nonSleepBufferMinutes=60

If you have no JSON enabled editor, you can make the data better readable by copying and pasting it for example into the JSON viewer at https://codebeautify.org/jsonviewer, or you can convert it to CSV or Excel files for example at http://convertcsv.com/json-to-csv.htm (as already mentioned in the previous post by )