Assigning default gear for individual activities

I just bought a pair of trail running shoes in addition to my road running shoes. I'd like to set up Garmin Connect such that when I choose 'run' on my Fenix 3, my road running shoes are linked and when I choose 'trail run' it knows that I'll be using the trail running shoes.

Currently I can only select 'other' when I choose an activity assigned to my trail running shoes, 'trail running' is not listed as an option under gear settings.

I have the same problem with my road and mountain bike.
  • Another user who asks Garmim to automatically sync garmin bicycle profiles with Garmin Connect.

For what it's worth, I created two additional cycling profiles – named ‘MTB’ and ’Track Bike’ respectively – on my Forerunner 635 just now, and recorded a timed activity for each of those profiles. I didn't edit the activity records at all after syncing, but they were automatically named by Garmin Connect to match the names of the profiles:

">

">

So Garmin Connect is now actually accepting the name of the profile set up on the Garmin fitness/activity tracking device as a meaningless, freeform text piece of metadata. It won't do anything with it, but at least now the user can easily know what follow-up work he or she requires (only because he or she wants the records to look a particular way) by the name of the activity. That includes changing the gear assignment manually to match what he or she associates offline with the chosen profile on the Garmin device.
  • So Garmin Connect is now actually accepting the name of the profile set up on the Garmin fitness/activity tracking device as a meaningless, freeform text piece of metadata.

I can't get it working. I have 2 profiles named as bike models. But I'm still get my activities named like "Location & Type" i.e. "Some District Cycling".
    I can't see my gear (profile) name in '*.tcx' file saved by device so Garmin Connect simply can't get profile name selected on device.
    I can assume it's because I'm using old device - Edge 705, but anyway it's disappointing :(
  • I can assume it's because I'm using old device - Edge 705
    Does your device model support multiple activity profiles, and have you made the correct selection in your Garmin Connect account settings?

">
  • This is great - a long requested feature I believe that the name of the activity will be taken from the device. Like in my case, where I have added a "copy" on my Fenix 3 of the Bike profile and named it Commute. So now when starting my activity, having chosen Commute that's what it will say in the uploaded activity name in Garmin Connect.

However, I would never have known about this if I hadn't by happenstance read this post.Do anyone know if Garmin publish their new features as they are being implemented and rolled out, or are we expected to traverse the whole application each time to find out ourselves what is changed since previous version? There are some publishing done of the stuff that we "download" - like for Fenix 3 here, https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=7623 - but what about the web site of Garmin Connect itself where that is done by Garmin themselves.
  • As far as I can tell this is a new request.

To start with - I admit there is a workaround for this, but I'm too lazy. Rather than do battle with the sub-menus on the Forerunner 410 watch - I record all activities (both runs and rides) in the default 'sport mode: 'run'

When I upload them to connect, they all receive the default gear assignment for 'run' (my current running shoes)

For rides, I change the activity type - but I have to also remember to remove my shoes and assign my bike.

Not a huge deal to workaround, but I can't imagine this would be a difficult fix either.

Thanks,
  • Have you not got your bike set as default gear for a ride in garmin connect
  • mgibbens, I'd say your conclusion of ‘should’ is simply logically unsound.

The default gear assignment rules you set up are applied when a timed activity is uploaded/imported into (or manually created in) Garmin Connect. No subsequent edits – including any changes to the activity type – will trigger any reevaluation of the activity record against such rules, or checked for whether it bests a previous personal record in your Garmin Connect account, etc. even though you can then manually change the assigned gear items, set it as a particular PR, and so on.
  • I find this an issue as well. I would like to have each sub category have default gear. ie Road - bike, wheels, shoes, MTB - bike, wheels, shoes, Indoor training - again I would like to track my trainer, and the bike, wheels, shoes, that I use for this activity.
  • +1

I run roads and trails, with different shoes for each, but yet I can only set one default for the broad category of running. Since I split my time between surfaces, I have to edit about half my runs.
  • This is crazy that this has been here for 3+ years and is an obvious easy area for improvement - as they have added all these different categories and I can't even tell it a default for mountain biking vs. road biking or trail run vs road run for shoes.

Certainly seems like improvements to Garmin Connect Web should be much faster in coming.