Assigning default gear for individual activities

I just bought a pair of trail running shoes in addition to my road running shoes. I'd like to set up Garmin Connect such that when I choose 'run' on my Fenix 3, my road running shoes are linked and when I choose 'trail run' it knows that I'll be using the trail running shoes.

Currently I can only select 'other' when I choose an activity assigned to my trail running shoes, 'trail running' is not listed as an option under gear settings.

I have the same problem with my road and mountain bike.
  • I use a 620, and run several types of shoes at the same time.

I haven't got my head round the GEAR function, how does it work with multiple shoes?

Although I have entered several shoe types in the gear box I can't allocate an individual shoe to that run. Am I missing something here?
  • If you hover over where it says "gear" in the run details that should open an "edit gear" box. You should then see the different shoes in your inventory. Hover over and select the shoe you use and itputs a tick next to it - job done.

I have two pairs of shoes set up on my profile and it works fine.
  • Tks KJUDE99
    I sorta got it now. Shouldn't have had one of the boxes ticked for automatically allocating one of the sets of shoes. Fingers crossed. A lot can go wrong yet.
  • I have 4 pairs of shoes set up, though one I set a maximum of 10 miles (I've retired them before there was gear tracking, but will use them a bit to see what happens when shoes hit their max). None of them set as "automatic". I can't assign shoes from the activity widget, but if I go to a full page for activities, with "add Gear" I can pick the shoes, and the "gear" is updated for distance as expected. I think on the activity widget itself, you can see what gear you used, but can't assign gear.
  • I have 3 bikes and have a profile for each in my Edge 1000. This works fine however when I import the data to Connect it all goes into my one bike. In other words it doesn't put the data into the gear (bike) I have set up for each bike. I have to remember which ride was on which bike and change the gear for that ride. Why doesn't Connect do this automatically? My Edge knows which profile (bike) the ride was on so Connect should know also.

Is there a way to set this up so the data goes into the correct gear in Connect without me doing it manually?

Roy
  • Great idea, you'd think it would have been done wouldn't you?
  • No Responses??

yes one would think this would be built into Connect, however this POS software never ceases to amaze me as to how hard it is to use and how lacking it is in features. The most frustrating software I have used in many years, manufactures just don't put out junk like this these days

Very surprised there have been no answers to my post, guess it's not something Connect can do?
  • yes one would think this would be built into Connect, however this POS software never ceases to amaze me as to how hard it is to use and how lacking it is in features. The most frustrating software I have used in many years, manufactures just don't put out junk like this these days

Very surprised there have been no answers to my post, guess it's not something Connect can do?

I'm just as surprised that this is supposedly a user only forum, you'd think it'd be in Garmin's interests to have a dedicated social media type role.
    If you want to send someone from Garmin a message my understanding is you need to talk to support, not use this forum. Having said that, don't hold your breath.
  • I bet Garmin monitor the forum for common issues, whether they choose to engage or act upon them is a different matter. If it were my company I would definitely have somebody monitoring it.

Having spoken with Garmin support myself, they really do need to up their game in this area. (I've also had some excellent service from Garmin support as well).
  • No Response

I can try Garmin support but thought it best to ask actual users here on this forum first. Usually if it can be done someone would know and respond, where support usually has to search their data base for the answer.

As I said I am surprised no one has responded with at least a comment like Connect doesn't do this, or that they have contacted support about it etc! I would think most Edge 1000 users have multiple bikes and track them in Connect so surely this has come up already?