Assigning default gear for individual activities

I just bought a pair of trail running shoes in addition to my road running shoes. I'd like to set up Garmin Connect such that when I choose 'run' on my Fenix 3, my road running shoes are linked and when I choose 'trail run' it knows that I'll be using the trail running shoes.

Currently I can only select 'other' when I choose an activity assigned to my trail running shoes, 'trail running' is not listed as an option under gear settings.

I have the same problem with my road and mountain bike.
  • Is there a way to have Garmin Connect default the gear used based on the activity?  Here's my situation:

I ride both road and mountain bikes.  When I upload my activity to Garmin Connect, it will automatically indicate the activity type (at the top of the page) as either "Road cycling" or "Mountain biking."  This is great, but the bike that gets associated with the ride is ALWAYS my mountain bike.  So if I ride road, I have to remember to switch this.

I noticed on the Gear page, for my mountain bike, it says "Automatically add to..." and Cycling is selected:

But in the activity page, the drop-down lists multiple cycling types:  

Can I get Garmin Connect to tag my mountain bike for "Mountain Biking" and my road bike for "Road Cycling"?  Seems like this should be possible if Garmin Connect automatically selects the cycling type specifically for the activity.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 6 years ago in reply to lytleric
    Coudl we have the ability to set defaults for gear so that we don't have to add it manually for every activity we do? I have one pair of running shoes but have to add them manually each time I run, it would be useful if they were automatically added to each logged run with the ability to remove them if they weren't used, or change them if I add a new pair of shoes. This is how it works in Strava, Nike RC etc.
  • That feature already exists.
    Go to your Gear-page and edit a pair of shoes. You can then select to automaticly add them to new activities.
  • I think you should be able to edit your gear 'default activity' for Walking (indoor) vs Walking (outdoor), vs running indoor and outdoor as well. Since there are more specific activities you should be able to set each with its own default gear, even if it is the same.
  • Indeed. Also for mountain biking I don't want that same default bike used when I go to the gym and do spin bike.
  • I'll just leave a comment here instead of asking all over again in a new thread... without the ability to associate gear with activity types, the gear tracking tool is a lot of manual work to use.
  • You may want to try the new service built specifically for this problem: http://sync.bike . Its a device that pairs with your phone, and automatically updates your workout with the correct bike. No need to manually update your garmin entry.
  • Another user who asks Garmim to automatically sync garmin bicycle profiles with Garmin Connect. It does not seem like a very difficult thing to do.
  • Another user who asks Garmim to automatically sync garmin bicycle profiles with Garmin Connect.

For what it's worth, I created two additional cycling profiles – named ‘MTB’ and ’Track Bike’ respectively – on my Forerunner 635 just now, and recorded a timed activity for each of those profiles. I didn't edit the activity records at all after syncing, but they were automatically named by Garmin Connect to match the names of the profiles:

">

">

So Garmin Connect is now actually accepting the name of the profile set up on the Garmin fitness/activity tracking device as a meaningless, freeform text piece of metadata. It won't do anything with it, but at least now the user can easily know what follow-up work he or she requires (only because he or she wants the records to look a particular way) by the name of the activity. That includes changing the gear assignment manually to match what he or she associates offline with the chosen profile on the Garmin device.