Assigning default gear for individual activities

I just bought a pair of trail running shoes in addition to my road running shoes. I'd like to set up Garmin Connect such that when I choose 'run' on my Fenix 3, my road running shoes are linked and when I choose 'trail run' it knows that I'll be using the trail running shoes.

Currently I can only select 'other' when I choose an activity assigned to my trail running shoes, 'trail running' is not listed as an option under gear settings.

I have the same problem with my road and mountain bike.
  • No, you can't do it automatically using Garmin Connect.

In fact, there isn't even a category for "Gym and Fitness Equipment" so for Indoor Rowing for example, no "Gear" can be automatically allocated.  It is not considered "Other".

• A little more investigation shows that default gear can not be set for activities of type Diving, Motorcyling, and Transition.

I can understand why gear for transition is not important because you are changing gear, but diving and motorcycling are both very gear-intensive.   This feature just hasn't been fully thought through and does not seem to be finished yet.

• Please auto add gear to the specific type of activity selected - simply adding cycling and running isn’t sufficient. For example, indoor cycling gear is very different from outdoor road and very different from outdoor mountain, etc. I switch at least 2 types of cycling frequently (road vs indoor) and it is very annoying to have to keep correcting one of them. So many folks do at least 2 types of cycling, and only very few if any are using the same bike for the different cycling activities - so we’re not asking for something esoteric. Thx.
  • Funny they have three types for running/hiking/walking and are subsequently adding new features to connect like body battery. stress, pulseox, but a simple feature like "more activity default types" seems to be way too complicated to realize. It's quite annoying to always change my bike manually when crossbiking as my default is my roadbike. But... strava ain't brilliant here too, they have only 2 defaults (running/cycling). C'mon guys, what`s the (technical) problem???

• Hello,

I hope it is just me, being not able to find it.

I have the following situation. I own a road bike for race, a every day road bike, a XC Mountain Bike and an Enduro bike, and a Taxc Neo as well. For all I have activities on my Fenix 5. So when I start a training I choose road bike, or Enduro or Enduro park (No uphill count). When I finish my training and sync it, Garmin Connect will allow me only one gear to be automatically set. So if I put XC Bike, I always have the XC Bike, although I chose  Road Bike activity. I have to change it manually afterwards.

The same with shoes. I have trail and road shoes. And I cannot fix trail running with the trail shoes and running with the road shoes.

It is not that complicated and I think I am not the only one with more than one gear for a group of similar activities.

• Ok. Done.

But I wonder that I am the only one, seeing this issue. This is quite obvious. Having more than one bike or one pair of shoes for different activities is standard.

Thanks and Best regards,

• But I wonder that I am the only one,

You are not the only one. This request has been made many times within past few years.

• I think the bigger question is why are there no improvements to Garmin Connect Web - like adding additional categories to Gear that match the same activity types that have been added to new products. I can see an some small delay but it really seems like there is not much in the way of improvements happening to Connect. This should be an easy change to add - to have a default mountain bike and a default road bike...