This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Unable to Sync after update to IOS 13.1.3

I have a Garmin Edge Explore and after upgrading my iPhone to ios 13.1.3 the Garmin is not automatically uploading to Garmin Connect anymore. Also manual upload does not work properly.

I have set the settings of the iPhone to the suggested settings but nothing works.

Garmin Connect app shows a green bullet to indicate it is connected to Edge Explore, but trying to sync is resulting in a red triangle indicating an error.

I use an iPhone X with ios 13.1.3

The Garmin Explore is on software version 4.24.0.17

•  So, you have NOT tried every suggestion here then.

BT syncing is broken, so there's probably no point in trying to fix that yourself.

@GoinginCircles WiFi-hotspot from the phone is a very good tip for situations when "regular" WiFi and Garmin Express is not available!

• Sorry Goingincircles, didn’t realise you’d replied with the same method before me!

• Thanks for the suggestion - I didn’t even think about using the phones WIFI hotspot.  Will try that.

• This syncing issue has become such a burden... this will be my last Garmin purchase. 

Back to Appple

• Now support is saying they "Hope" to have this fixed Mid-Late November.  It keeps getting scooted back. 

• Understand Jonathan- that this bluetooth synching problem is entirely Apple's 'fault' (or, perhaps intention).  Their iOS13 changes created these issues.  It has been postulated that Apple may do this semi-intentionally so that only their watches work reliably with their phones.  They already hobble non-apple watches.  it's not Garmin's fault that apple doesn't let them use emoji's in notifications... that's apple's doing.  (and I'm an apple fan)  The new apple watch is a great device- but for the multisport/outdoors athlete, that lives and dies on their data... the AppleWatch is hardly a replacement for a Fenix 6Pro.

• Whatever the reason... the Garmin Vivosport has become a pain to use because of this. And if this backroom shenanigans on Apple's part, well... they roped me into purchasing an Apple Watch. I just want something that works - and works most of the time. 

• I wonder if anyone @garmin reads these or does analytics on the forums.  Sync of activities does with with WIFI, after turning bluetooth off, but this is less than optimal.

If anyone reading this cares, here is the error report.

GCM iOS SYNC REPORT

Sync Identifier: 45C643F9-A985-49BD-A24B-5EE3ACC371C3
    Date/Time: 2019-11-07 16:17:32 +0000
    GCM Software Version: 4.24.1.4
    Garmin Device Software Version: 4.20
    Garmin Device Model: fenix 6 Sapphire
    Garmin Device Unit ID: .........................
    Connect Account: .................................

UPLOAD CONFIG

File Type URL
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    FIT_TYPE_57 /upload-service/upload
    FIT_TYPE_28 /upload-service/upload
    ErrorShutdownReports/shutdown/upload
    FIT_TYPE_41 /upload-service/upload
    FIT_TYPE_35 /upload-service/upload
    FIT_TYPE_4 /upload-service/upload
    GPSData /upload-service/upload
    GOLF_SCORECARD /gcs-golfcommunity/api/scorecard
    FIT_TYPE_44 /upload-service/upload/metrics
    FIT_TYPE_38 /gcs-golfcommunity/api/scorecard/fit
    FIT_TYPE_52 /user-behavior-log/fit/upload
    FitnessHistory /upload-service/upload
    BLELogs /era2-intake/uploadDeviceLog
    FIT_TYPE_49 /upload-service/upload/wellness
    FIT_TYPE_9 /upload-service/upload
    FIT_TYPE_32 /upload-service/upload/wellness
    IQErrorReports /ciq-appstore-era/uploads

UPLOAD DEVICE FILE TYPES

File Type
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    FIT_TYPE_49
    FIT_TYPE_38
    FIT_TYPE_35
    FIT_TYPE_32
    FIT_TYPE_44
    FIT_TYPE_4
    FIT_TYPE_41
    ErrorShutdownReports
    IQErrorReports

UPLOADS

File Type Filename Size (bytes) Status
    FIT_TYPE_4 1-3307846078ble-FIT_TYPE_4-3290-7-942065509 206289 Error
    FIT_TYPE_35 (null)102 Cancelled
    FIT_TYPE_32 (null)15908 Cancelled
    FIT_TYPE_32 (null)36971 Cancelled
    FIT_TYPE_32 (null)737 Cancelled
    FIT_TYPE_44 (null)622 Cancelled
    FIT_TYPE_49 (null)7978 Cancelled
    FIT_TYPE_49 (null)6364 Cancelled
    FIT_TYPE_49 (null)9889 Cancelled
    FIT_TYPE_49 (null)229 Cancelled

DOWNLOAD DEVICE FILE TYPES

File Type

DOWNLOADS

File Type Download ID Size (bytes)

ERROR DETAILS

Error Domain=GCMSyncErrorDomain Code=2 "Device connection error" UserInfo={SyncErrorReason=File UL: Failed to receive file from device, NSLocalizedDescription=Device connection error, NSUnderlyingError=0x281b1a3d0 {Error Domain=GarminDeviceSync.FileTransferErrorDomain Code=16 "(null)" UserInfo={GarminDeviceMessageError.ErrorReasonKey=Timed out waiting for file data request.}}}

• How come Suunto works just fine? With all these features. On IOS13. (p.s. Not a Suunto fan and not advocating for them but just to state the obvious). So how is this entirely Apple´s fault then? Do they specifically block "Garmin BT sync"? And Garmin "no emoji" notifications? I guess not.

• that this bluetooth synching problem is entirely Apple's 'fault'

You’re going to have to substantiate that assertion...Several facts suggest you’re talking nonsense:

The issue arising did not coincide with an iOS update. After updating to 13.1.3 sync problems were not reported.

The sync problems began to be reported within hours of the release of Connect 4.24.0.17

Other companies have not had similar issues

Garmin were very, very quick to get on here and blame Apple for the change in notification behaviour. If they could have blamed the sync issues on Apple then do any of us doubt that they wouldn’t have hesitated to say so on this bread, rather than pointedly ignoring it?

Garmin have acknowledged to individual users that it is their issue and that they are trying to fix the app.