This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Apple Watch Move Ring not updated after Garmin workout.

Hi all,

I'm have Garmin Forerunner 235 and a Apple Watch series 4. I use the Garmin Forerunner for workouts and the Apple Watch for daily activity. The Garmin Connect iOS App is integrated with the Health Apps and succesfully shares workout information. The Exercise ring of my Apple Watch is updated succesfully after a workout with the Garmin Forerunner 235. However, the Move ring (calories) not.

In a other topic I read that this issue should be solved, but I still have this issue. 

Someone any idea of this problem should be solved for the Garmin Forerunner 235 as well? 
  • Same! I'm 2 days shy of completing the Apple Watch monthly challenge. 

• It is a manual process (but I think you can set it up to be automated), but I started using the RunGap app.  I turned off Garmin syncing with Apple, Strava, and TrainingPeaks and I use RunGap to sync all of my Garmin workouts to these services.  Only downside is that its not free, but the developers are still active and releasing updates.  My workouts synced with RunGap will complete the Move, Exercise, and even Stand rings from the Garmin activity.

Steps won't sync to the Apple Activity app, but they'll sync with the Apple Health app, so I can see my total steps counted from my Garmin and Apple Watch.

You can also sync the other way, so if I workout with my Apple Watch, I can use RunGap to sync it into Garmin.

• I too am having this issue, but can't get your Strava workaround to work.  I turned off all sycn categories from Garmin in Apple Health, turned on all for Strava, recorded my ride on my Garmin, ride synced to Strava, but not to Apple Health.  What did I miss?

• OK, What I found:

- during your workout the exercise ring on your Apple Watch does progress because of the watch automatically recognising your effort. This does NOT come from Garmin (at this stage you will probably not see the Garmin entry under Workouts in Apple Health)

- if configured so Garmin Connect will send the workout info to Apple Health, but this is not an instant process. It seems to sync just once a day (or night) or something like that.

- calorie count in Apple Health will not update for synced workouts on days in the past. The day 'closes' at midnight.

I do agree that Garmin could do better here, but I hope this does give some clarity on the status today.

• Using Fenix 6 Sapphire and the new Apple Watch 6 and still having this frustrating problem. I complete a cycling workout (for example) using the Fenix watch and I can see that I spent 500 active calories. The workout minutes sync as soon as I sync with the Connect app. The Active Energy (calories) do not sync. They sync at the end of the day, but they do not contribute to the move ring progress on the Watch even though the calories do appear in the data points of Ape Health. What is going on here? I don't want to have to do this monkey dance of hopping through other apps as I can't even predict the outcome. I just want my calorie data to sync properly. 

• Downlod strava. Connect garmin to strava and then connect strava to apple health and disable garmin connect i health. This always worked for me

• Thanks but this isn’t the solution I’m looking for. I didn’t pay over $1000 for a Garmin product to have to share info with another platform as a workaround. I need Garmin to address this bug first hand. 

• So tou bougt a 1000 dollar watch to sync you apple watch?  It dosent say anywhore that this works

• I don't know where you got info that led you to this conclusion. I have two watches, Fenix 6 Sapphire and Apple Watch 6. Fenix is used for workouts, Apple Watch for everything else. Fenix data is not getting stored correctly in Apple Health and this is what I want fixed. 

• I'm pretty sure this is on Garmin and their apathy toward keeping Apple Health updated. It feels like a move to frustrate users into moving into their health ecosystem. It was with this suspicion in mind that I bought a Wahoo Element head unit for tracking bike rides and its companion app has zero problem adding its info to Apple Health after a ride. With all that said, I took a previous poster's advice and tried out RunKeeper and have had zero problem keeping everything up to date. Yes, it's a little fiddly to get it setup properly, and it does come with a modest recurring fee, but it does a job that the Garmins software is either incapable of doing or not-particularly-inclined toward doing reliably, so it's worth it to me.