This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Spotify CIQ App not working correctly

We are investigating reports that the Spotify CIQ App not working correctly and we are wanting your feedback. Please provide some details about what is occurring when you try to use or setup the Spotify Connect IQ App. Below are just a few questions we would like answered.

• What is happening? (e.g. failing during setup, sync failure, playback failure, etc.)
  • What kind of phone are you using?
  • What kind of headphones are you using?
  • What Garmin Device do you have?
  • When was the last time Spotify worked correctly?
  • Does the problem only happen with a specific Audio File?
  • Are you using Public WiFi? (Using a Wi-Fi Device on a Captive Portal)
  • What software version is on your Device?
  • Do you have a vivoactive 4 (Hero Series or Saga Series) device? 
  • 2 month later an no fix. I have the same problem with FR 245 Musik and OnePlus 6. 

• What is happening? (e.g. failing during setup, sync failure, playback failure, etc.)
      • I get "Sync failed" when trying to get playlists down on the device. I had music on the device, but suddenly I could not play the sync'ed music, and I cannot update/sync. It goes to sync, saying "Syncing Spotify 0% Complete", never moves, and then "Sync failed"
      • Samsung Galaxy S10e
      • Well, I don't use headphones for sync'ing, but the headphones I used when it worked are Aeropex by Aftershokz.
      • Garmin Vivoactive 3 Music
      • Don't know, few months ago I think
      • No.
    • Are you using Public WiFi? (Using a Wi-Fi Device on a Captive Portal)
      • No. I use my own WiFi, first I changed from an SSID that is dynamic 2.4GHz/5GHz to a 2.4 dedicated channel. Then I tried using a hotspot from my phone. Non success.
      • SW 5.60
      • GPS 2.50
      • Wi-Fi 2.50
      • TSC 2.00
      • ANT/BLE/BT 4.30
      • Sensor Version 3.20
      • WHR Version 20.03.31
      • Connect IQ 3.1.7
      • No

I would note that I have tried with and without charger connected to the device.

• When I try to sync podcasts using Spotify it will start to sync and fail 100% of the time.  It will connect to Wi-Fi and start the process and get anywhere from 1-95% and then say sync failed. It never gets stuck at 0% but never ever has actually finished a sync
    • Samsung Galaxy S20+
    • I'd say irrelevant as never even synced once so haven't listened to anything yet but have Plantronics Bluetooth ones currently synced but not actually connected
    • Vivoactive 4
    • Never
    • I have tried downloading multiple podcasts
    • Home Wi-Fi, with password
    • Versions
      • Watch SW version 4.50
      • GPS Version 2.90
      • ANT/BLE/BT Version4.30
      • Wi-Fi Version 2.60
      • Connect IQ 3.1.7
      • Spotify version 1.3.25
    • Yes

I have playlists from my Spotify library downloaded to my Garmin watch, and I have just added tracks to some of them on Spotify for mobile. When I try to 'Update Downloads' to sync the new tracks and playlist edits, it is unable to sync. It will either come up straight away with a screen that says 'Unable to Sync' with an 'OK' button that returns you to your library, or try to sync and get to between 0% and 99% before the same 'Unable to Sync' screen appears. Most often it gets to around 15% before failing, but it varies between straight away and a few minutes wait.

Moto G4 Plus, Android 7.0

Don't use headphones when trying to sync, but when I am listening to music I am using some Amazon Bluetooth ear pod things. They've been working fine.

Viviactive 3 Music, bought 2 weeks ago.

I have been able to listen to the un-synced music that I was able to download and sync fine a couple of weeks ago perfectly well. But the last time I was able to sync already existing music to download added tracks or update edits/removals from Spotify was when I first set up the device a couple of weeks ago. I had not attempted that again until now, which is when I've come across the problem. In short - about a couple of weeks ago.

I don't know - it will not update my library, which includes music and podcasts

No - home WiFi, password protected, Virgin media.

SW Version 5.60

No

• I'm seeing almost the exact same thing as @swansoer with podcasts on my Google Pixel 2 / Vivoactive 3 music. Latest garmin software (5.60) and latest spotify (1.3.25). It goes very slow, gets to X% and then says "Sync failed". If I try again, it starts at the percent it failed at, but takes a really long time before the percentage starts increasing again, and the higher it was the last time, the longer it takes (as if it's really just restarting the download, perhaps).

It started happening in the last 2-3 days. It doesn't seem to affect music- I just synced a 51 track playlist with no issues. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Spotify, and then even resetting the watch entirely, but the same issue came up again.

One difference I have noticed is that sometimes, the podcasts do finish downloading (maybe 10% of the time). And, a few times I have been able to finish successfully downloading on the failed previously. My likelihood of finishing a download has increased with being plugged in and close to the router, but still happens very often even when I do those things. It used to never be an issue at all with where I usually keep my watch, until the last few days.

• Huawei p30 lite
    • Vivoactive 4
    • Never has
    • I can't download anything so wouldn't know
    • Used my own private home router and tried my phone's data via hotspot

It lets me try and download a songs but it's just doesn't move from 0% then drains all my battery

Is anything happening with this can't believe it's been going on for so long?? 

• I've recently changed my router and that combined with the latest update seems to have fixed it for me so far. 

For what my opinion is worth, I think this problem is related to Garmin devices not handling corrupt WiFi packets very well.  I have two places I sync in and the one with the most congested WiFi gets this problem more often.

Last time I looked, the CIQ command set doesn't even have a full set of error traps for wireless, meaning that if there is a communications error, it will just crash the app and there's nothing the app programmer can do about it. There appears to be a similar problem with Bluetooth.  In my experience, electromagnetic interference, like a passing train, can crash the BT headphones driver.  It's marginally better than before because you used to need to reboot the watch to recover.  Now you usually just need to wait a few minutes for the driver to time out but that's still a pain and still evidence of bad programming in the CIQ platform.

Note that this is a user forum not a support forum.  If you want to shout and swear at Garmin, you're probably better off doing it to them direct.  If you do it on here, all you're really doing is shouting at other users, who often have the same problem as you. The forum is best for mutual aid and the more specific you are about the problem you're having the more likely it is that another user will be able to help you or suggest some workarounds. 

• What is happening? (e.g. failing during setup, sync failure, playback failure, etc.) Garmin watch says Failed to Sync when trying to download aSpotify playlist. its really frustrating as I’ve reset the watch and reinstalled everything from scratch and still no good. I’ll sit the watch next to the WiFi router and make sure it’s 100% charged and it’ll still fail.
    • What kind of phone are you using?Google Pixel 3
    • What kind of headphones are you using? Jaybird Vista
    • What Garmin Device do you have? VivoActive 3 Music
    • When was the last time Spotify worked correctly? First time I used it about 12months ago
    • Does the problem only happen with a specific Audio File? N/a
    • Are you using Public WiFi? (Using a Wi-Fi Device on a Captive Portal). Private home wifi
    • What software version is on your Device? 1.3.27
    • Do you have a vivoactive 4 (Hero Series or Saga Series) device? N/a
  • Garmin vivoactive 4 

Sony xperia xz2 

JBL Reflect Contour (i tried to connect with another JBL device and the same problem)

Problem is: my watch can see devices but doesn't connect with them