This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Android pairing problem

Hi, so since a few days, my Forerunner 235 wouldn't sync anymore with my phone. This has happened before so I deleted the device from my devices on Garmin Connect and tried to pair it back as that usually works. Now it won't pair anymore. It gets so far as to give me the passkey, but before I can type in the passkey in my phone, the watch goes back to "Ready to Pair" and gives me a new passkey, and so forth. On my phone it says "Timed out while connecting to device" over and over in red and "couldn't connect to Forerunner 235" in grey every time the passkey disappears again.

New passkeys keep showing and disappearing and sometimes I'm fast enough to type it, but it just does the same thing.

I've restarted both Forerunner and phone countless times, turned Bluetooth on and off, all in every order I can think of. It just won't pair back up. I have no idea what to do and I can't find this particular problem anywhere on the internet... help would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • I tried resetting network, but no success. App Garmin Connect updated twice since the problem emerged, but the issue remains...
  • Surely Garmin is coming to the party with a fix for this, you shouldn't have to roll back the OS version to get one app working again on your phone.

By previous reactions I doubt it, since they said it's not in their supported devices list or whatever.
    The Reset Network didn't work for me.

This really stinks since it's a relatively new phone, and now my Forerunner is pretty useless as a smart watch. I'll try the Android downgrade this weekend, see if it fixes it, but not happy about it.
  • same issue with the fenix and forerunner 35 on android 7.0. used to work very well until a couple of weeks ago. how can i downgrade to android 6.0?
  • By previous reactions I doubt it, since they said it's not in their supported devices list or whatever.
    The Reset Network didn't work for me.

This really stinks since it's a relatively new phone, and now my Forerunner is pretty useless as a smart watch. I'll try the Android downgrade this weekend, see if it fixes it, but not happy about it.

Hi SoetkinC, than let us know, if downgrade helped.
  • I'm using a Moto G5 Plus Android 7.0 (not sure when it last updated, but guess it must have been very recently) and same problem started for me within the last 5 days. Downgrading mobile OS version isn't feasible.

I'd add it seems to be hammering the battery as well, going from 100% to well under 50% within a 48hours and little usage other than being sat on my wrist, (gps etc).
  • I'd add it seems to be hammering the battery as well, going from 100% to well under 50% within a 48hours and little usage other than being sat on my wrist, (gps etc).

Interesting, I've just got it to sync.
    = Restarted Phone
    = Restarted Watch
    = Tried to pair using the Bluetooth setting on the phone (not the app). That gave the result of it prompting for the pairing pin, which was entered, the phone appeared to be connected, however Forerunner 235 just went back into pairing and then timing out.
    = Played around with settings on the watch (I doubt this has an impact), but I turned notifications off.
    = Had the watch on the activity screen
    = Went into the App, App showed no connected device, I used the app to pair a device, selected Forerunner 235
    = I noticed the activity sync indicator on the watch started to show the Up and Down arrows.
    = Quickly went to pairing
    = The two devices paired
    = My data synced

Not certain which of those, did the trick (I don't feel like undoing what I've done to test further).
  • Another +1 for the same pairing problem (pass key timing out too fast to enter and pair with phone) with a forerunner 235 and a Huawei 6x running android 7. Problem seemed to start after upgrading from android 6 to 7.
  • Exactly the same problem for me. Everything was fine until recently with my P9 lite but now just cannot connect to my Forerunner 235. The phone is fine with all other bluetooth devices so I know that isn't the issue. I also tried a P10 lite and the same problem occurred. The watch pairs with other Android phone and iPhone SE. Clearly an Garmin problem with Huawei phones introduced in a recent Garmin update. It's not an Android 7 issue as my P9 Lite is running Android 6.
  • hi,
    i have the same issue :(
    any solution to this problem?
  • Same issue. I have a fr230 and a huawei p9 lite.
    i have the phone since december. It has not received any updates during this time. I have the fr230 since almost two years ago. I have never had an issue. I have updated the watch fw some days ago, I have now 7.50. Definitely the fw has broken the communication...

EDIT: I have EMUI 4.1.1, ANDROID 6.0.

so this means this is not exclusively an android 7 issue