This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Android pairing problem

Hi, so since a few days, my Forerunner 235 wouldn't sync anymore with my phone. This has happened before so I deleted the device from my devices on Garmin Connect and tried to pair it back as that usually works. Now it won't pair anymore. It gets so far as to give me the passkey, but before I can type in the passkey in my phone, the watch goes back to "Ready to Pair" and gives me a new passkey, and so forth. On my phone it says "Timed out while connecting to device" over and over in red and "couldn't connect to Forerunner 235" in grey every time the passkey disappears again.

New passkeys keep showing and disappearing and sometimes I'm fast enough to type it, but it just does the same thing.

I've restarted both Forerunner and phone countless times, turned Bluetooth on and off, all in every order I can think of. It just won't pair back up. I have no idea what to do and I can't find this particular problem anywhere on the internet... help would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • Hi, I have the same issue. What type of phone do you have? In my case its Huawei P9 lite.
    www.youtube.com/watch
  • Yes! I have the P9 lite too! I just got an system update notification and updated the phone, hoping that would have been the problem, but no such luck.

I have exactly the same problem like in your video.
  • How long do you have your Gamin 235? I have written to Slovak support and they written me back, that problem is in my mobile, but i don´t agree. Some change has come from Garmin side, not from Huawei. I would like to figure it out, what could happened a few days ago. If I remember well, I have upgraded Watch to 7.50 version of soft.
    And when I read forums, many users have pairing issues last few days. I think, there is some bug, perhaps in combination with Android version 7.0.
  • My wife is having similar problems with her 235 and iPhone SE.
  • I'm having a same problem with my Forerunner 235 and Huawei P9 Lite also since the latest update of the watch. I have updated Garmin Connect yesterday since I thought that will fix the problem, but nothing. I have tried turning mobile off and an, also the watch, but It's showing the same issues as in the video above.
  • Hi branko, the same result, problem since the last update of the watch. I think, some bug in 7.50 version for Garmin 235. Downgrade to 7.40, 7.42 didnt help.
    This is from message I recieved from support:
    "Thank you for contacting Garmin’s fitness support team; we are happy to help. I’m sorry to see you are having so much trouble pairing your Forerunner 235 to the Bluetooth on your phone. Please make sure the app on the phone is up to date. If you are still in the setup process you may need to skip the step for adding a device. From the My Day page tap on the three lines in the top left hand corner to open the menu. Go down to Settings, App Diagnostics. Please make sure you have the app version of 3.22.2 or higher.
    Once you have made sure the app is up to date, open the Bluetooth settings menu on the phone and remove the watch from the Bluetooth settings if it is in there then turn off the Bluetooth radio on the phone.
    Go to the settings for your phone and look for apps or application manager. Find the Connect app in the list and select it. Tap on “Storage” and then clear the cache. Finally reboot the phone.
    While the phone is rebooting, reboot the watch as well. This can be done by holding the light button in the top left corner.
    Once the phone is back up and running start the Bluetooth radio but do not pair the watch to the phone’s Bluetooth settings.
    Open Garmin Connect and tap on the Menu button in the top left and scroll down to Garmin Devices. Tap on Add a Device > All compatible devices > Forerunner > Forerunner 235.
    It may ask you to confirm some information so just hit “Next”. It should be asking you to put the watch in to Bluetooth pairing mode, so open the Menu on the watch and go to “Settings” > Bluetooth > Pair Mobile Device. The watch should say “Ready to pair” so start the search on the phone."

In my case no change, still the same problem. Perhaps, the others can help.
  • branko, Thank You for this information. If I knew it earlier, I didn´t buy this Watch.
    Yes, it worked well. Sync, messeges, notifications, all my phone calls displayed prefect.
  • In my case no change, still the same problem. Perhaps, the others can help.

Have you reset your watch? It looks like the watch and the phone are out of sync in the video. If you had cleared the cache and removed the pairing from the phone, maybe just resetting the watch will help?

• I'm having a same problem with my Forerunner 235 and Huawei P10 Lite since friday. The watch didnt want to connect with the phone any more (before, it was working more or less fine). After unpairing, I cannot re-pair them again. Suggested above did not work at all...
  • Yep my FR235 seemed to have lost it's bluetooth connection with the app. The bluetooth settings on the phone (S7) shows the forerunner 235 is an available device but I can't seem to pair it with the app when I try adding the device, something has changed with GCM v4.