This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Can't install Maps on PC for BaseCamp with new Zumo XT firmware 5.90

Since installing the brand new firmware 5.90 to the Zumo XT the option to install City Navigator maps also on PC for usage with BaseCamp seem's to be gone - only a fresh installation on the unit itself is possible. The whole map administration has been changed and a installation of the maps to quickly access them with BaseCamp without connection of the Zumo XT to the pc is not possible any more.

If this is a bug (some time ago this problem already appeared after a Garmin Express update!), please fix this quickly - but if this is meant to be so, this is i complete no-go for planning some routes on the pc. Even that the Zumo XT has a lot faster access to his onboard maps than the units before, this is no way for working quick and reliable on pre-planned routes. The maps have to be on the pc for this - please change this back... 

• Yes you're right.   To pay a premium $$$ for a unit that requires work arounds is ridiculous. My Nuvi 3590 had no such issues.

• I am surprised that there doesn't seem to be a fix for this yet? I plan routes all the time and my GPS stays on my bike all the time. I cannot be moving it back and forth just to use Basecamp. I hope this is a bug and not intentional. 

• I did a web chat with tech support. Here is what they said today... 

Session started between Kari and Robert Woodsom.Please give me a moment to look into your issue and I will be right with you.

Robert Woodsom:My Zumo XT no longer allows me to install maps to my computer using Garmin Express. A web search revealed that since a firmware update was installed it removed the ability for all users? was this intentional or is it getting fixed? If I cannot use Basecamp without my GPS plugged into my computer to read maps this isn't usefull.

Kari:Thank you for contacting Garmin Automotive Chat Support. I'll be glad to assist you.

Kari:Hello Robert, are you getting an error message when installing the map to the computer?

Robert Woodsom:The feature has been removed from Garmin Express

Robert Woodsom:the menu is gone

Robert Woodsom:I have tried multiple computers and it sounds like many are experiencing the same thing.

Robert Woodsom:https://forums.garmin.com/apps-software/mac-windows-software/f/garmin-express-windows/257068/can-t-install-maps-on-pc-for-basecamp-with-new-zumo-xt-firmware-5-90/1251160#1251160

Robert Woodsom:Trying to figure out if this is intentional or a bug that is being fixed.

Kari:One moment while I look further into this.

Kari:You have been idle for some time now. Is there anything further I can assist you with?

Kari:Sorry for that automated message still checking into this.

Robert Woodsom:ok, thanks.

Kari:Thanks for your patience here. This is a known issue that we are working on. At this time there is not a fix or work around other than to connect your device to the computer.

• Update from my side.  I talked with Tech Support.  They were very responsive and solved the problem with Basecamp freezing or restarting when connecting the XT.    There is a POI that needs to be removed.    Here are their instructions:   

1. Start with BaseCamp closed, and the zumo connected to the computer
    2. Open the Garmin/zumo drive
    3. Open Internal Storage
    4. Open the POI folder
    5. Move the USCanadaCyclopsSample.gpi file from the POI folder to your computer
    6. Delete the USCanadaCyclopsSample.gpi from the zumo
    7. Close out of the Garmin drive
    8. Open BaseCamp

Worked like a champ and now the XT connects just fine.

• Think you've posted this in the wrong thread but this is already known about, doesn't help with the issue in this thread though.

• I hooked up my old Nuvi 3597 and downloaded the latest 2022.10 map to basecamp.  Not a fix for the XT but at least I have the map.

• I see Garmin Express 7.5 is now out. I wonder if that has fixed the problem.

• Garmin Express 7.5 did not solved the issue... 

• How to ... Follow the instructions and you don´t need your zumo device attached to PC. Basecamp look at SD card as your Zumo device.

Não sou responsável por qualquer consequência que possa advir do mau uso destas instruções.

• Thank you. Given that the video is 5 years old I suspect it's to be used as a last resort only!