This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

I keep getting Express.exe error when I shutdown PC.

I keep getting Express.exe error when I shutdown PC. Using 7.3.0.0 - What to do?

• My Win10 is up to date and no issues, so it's not that. Express was updated recently, so are you running the latest version?

• Everything is up to date and only thing that has changed is windows and it's updates. It doesn't have to happen in every Windows rig as they are different of course. Still Garmin needs to address this issue as express is their sw.

• I suggest you call Product Support for detailed help, it may just be an issue with your system as while there are some reports here of problems it doesn't appear widespread.  Garmin can then log your problem and obtain error logs etc.

• 7.3.0.0 as written in OP.

• This issue has indeed cropped up with the latest (v7.3.0.0) release, I've never witnessed it before. There's nothing that's been officially released by Microsoft recently, i.e. after January Patch Tuesday (12th of Jan) so it's not a source of the this problem per se.

Also, it seems that it does not happen all the time, the last time I've seen was two days ago actually.

Also, this issue seems related to .NET - as per entry in Event Viewer / Applications log:

- System
      - Provider
       [ Name]  .NET Runtime
      - EventID 1026
       [ Qualifiers]  0
       Version 0
       Level 2
       Task 0
       Opcode 0
       Keywords 0x80000000000000
      - TimeCreated
       [ SystemTime]  2021-02-04T14:45:54.4592370Z
       EventRecordID 30176
       Correlation
      - Execution
       [ ProcessID]  0
       [ ThreadID]  0
       Channel Application
       Computer [REDACTED]
       Security
    - EventData
       Application: express.exe Framework Version: v4.0.30319 Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception. Exception Info: exception code c0000005, exception address 538B5D4E Stack:  

And that happens after Express was sent 'close' command, from GE logs:

2021-02-04 14:45:54.3385 |   1 | I | App | Closing Express.

(compare detailed time stamps, in bold above)

So there's nothing that Support can obtain from logs I'm afraid.

• Does anybody tried my solution? (remove Express background task).

It worked for me.

• No. I  think it should run in background for a reason. I just want express to work as intended. 

• No special reason to run in background.

The background task is just checking for updates (could be done manually), and start Garmin Express when connecting the gps unit to your computer

• Also, it seems that it does not happen all the time

I agree. I've seen this happen since I've upgraded to 7.3.0.0. However, I'm unable to replicate the issue consistently, with a timestamp and reference the Windows applications log, as you've done, before contacting product support.

• Start with Event Viewer, go to Windows Logs/Application log, then use filter to see EventID 1026 only. This on my side results with the following:

(Exact timestamp is in the Details tab for each occurrence, although the times shown above are good enough)

Then subsequently go to C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Logs\Express and open relevant ExpressDetailed_XX.log and search for this timestamp in there.

2021-01-31 15:11:16.5018 |   1 | I | App | Closing Express.