This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

WMI Host Provider high CPU when running Garmin Express

This was also reported in the thread about GE using 20% CPU, but I thought the WMI-specific issue should be highlighted in its own thread. The problem was also reported in the Forerunner 945 forum. I had been trying to figure this out for a while until I saw that post. Sure enough, quitting out of GE made the high WMI CPU usage stop.

GE 6.19.3.0

Top Replies

All Replies

• Keeping GE running in the background is still an issue today.
    GE version 6.21.0.0. Windows 10 Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.836). Are the Garmin Developers monitoring these forums?

• They've been aware of the issue for months. The last response was that they were not able to replicate the issue at their end. However, time has passed and this info may no longer be accurate.

• I can confirm Garmin Express (latest version downloaded 21 May) causes the WMI Provider Host CPU to skyrocket on my fully updated Windows 10 64-bit Home Edition.

See Microsoft's February 2020 post here:  High CPU usage by WMIPRVSE.EXE process at regular intervals in Windows

Neither suggestion helped much although Garmin Express was identified in the Event Viewer as one program of several causing a WMI Provider Error.

This is my CPU usage when I start Garmin Express and then stop it.  It is quite clearly Garmin Express causing the problem. 

Note I had 2GB of free memory and I was using about 70,000 handles at the time. I stopped other programs to free up memory and handles but Garmin Express still caused WMI Provider CPU use to get very high and make the PC almost unusable due to the very slow response times other programs showed..

• I have just spoken to Garmin Support (22 May 2020) and they have confirmed that there is ticket open for this bug so it is being investigated. 

I have offered to assist Garmin if they wish by testing any new software on my PC.

Garmin Express 6.15 does not have the problem so if you can get back to the previous version somehow (by using System restore?) you should be OK.

• That's good to know, at least it is on their radar. I was amused by a recent post on Reddit, where the OP asked whether Garmin Express was doing bitcoin mining in the background.

• I did a Google search with download garmin express 6.15 and found https://www.malavida.com/en/soft/garmin-express/download which says it is Garmin Express 6.15. 

I have no idea whether this is a spoof site trying to get me to download something nasty so, if you do choose to download it, you do so at your own risk.

I downloaded it and got an 82.5 MB file called GarminExpressInstaller.exe.  The Digital signature is by Garmin International Inc dated 18 June 2019 so it looks sensible.  AVG AntiVirus did not flag it.

I installed it and it looks like the proper thing and immediately offered that there is a newer version 6.21 available.  I declined it.

All seems to be fine and WMI Provider Host is doing nothing.

• I think 6.18 was the last version to not have the problem.

Did you have to uninstall 6.21 in order to install 6.15?

• Got 6.21.0.0. Same WMI high CPU usage. Disappointed

• Just updated GE to v7.0.0 and the problem still exists. Unamused

• Wow, unbelievable. And true - as just witnessed on my PC:

When GE is running excessive CPU utilisation and I/O activity both remain firmly in place regardless of having device – Oregon 750t in my case, as its maps were just being updated  – connected, or not.