This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

WMI Host Provider high CPU when running Garmin Express

This was also reported in the thread about GE using 20% CPU, but I thought the WMI-specific issue should be highlighted in its own thread. The problem was also reported in the Forerunner 945 forum. I had been trying to figure this out for a while until I saw that post. Sure enough, quitting out of GE made the high WMI CPU usage stop.

GE 6.19.3.0

Top Replies

All Replies

• This has been going on and on and on, reported in numerous threads and reported directly to Garmin numerous times. It is remarkable that Garmin feels that the inconvenience they are creating and well aware of to thousands of users that have no idea how to figure out why they're Windows machines are performing badly is not worth Garmin's attention. 

• And not just that, think about that that CPU usage doesn't come for free, it needs energy that is produced at the expense of resources. Garmin is just not caring about the environment at all by looking away from this issue.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 3 years ago

Yep same problem as well 6 months later. on 7.0. 3950x 64GB ram. This shouldnt be happening.

• Unfortunately this is endlessly old news. It is disappointing that Garmin cares so little for their customers, most of whom will never figure out what is turning their PCs into slugs. I've gotten past being upset about this. You just need to accept that Garmin hardware is usually pretty good and their software sucks. I won't buy any new device until at least mid lifecycle and a thorough review of the forum posts.

• It is inconceivable that Garmin ignores this issue, in spite of so many complaints. At least "Keep running GE in the background" should not be the default. This really harms Garmin's reputation.

• Version 7.0.1.0 has this problem too.  6 months and still no fix.  Typical Garmin! 

• Huzzah
    Just adding my name to the list after finally figuring out it was express running in the background calling WMI.
    For me Its not a huge resource hog but just enough keep the fans spinning on an 'idle' laptop and driving me nuts.

• I can add to this thread. Really annoying that it still isn't fixed. Currently running GE 7.0.1.0 on an updated win10 1909 but it has been a problem for quite a while.

• Sigh... Having spent too many hours figuring out the reason I was seeing totally rythmic CPU spikes from WMIHost.exe, only after much testing finding GE was the reason - and then learning it's well known problem already for more than half a year. The environmental pollution for no other reason than coding bugs and support laziness is almost the worst here.

This was seen on two Surface Pro 6 machines, one running Windows 10 1909 another running Windows 10 2004, being completely differently installed as one is a private machine and the other is an corporate and standard installed machine. GE is v. 7.0,1,0.

I turly hope this gets fixed ASAP.

• I turly hope this gets fixed ASAP.

(hollow) LOL.  Garmin has a long list of critical bugs that often take years to fix and many that aren't ever fixed before the hardware goes into obsolescence.  The Garmin Scale being their best example. This took them over three years to partially fix the WiFi connectivity bug that was the whole point of having a smart scale. The Spotify App, released to much fanfare over a year ago, still doesn't sync properly for many people and it's usability is terrible. IMHO Garmin management are releasing far too many devices with far too little investment in their code base, giving them a reputation for buggy software that the hardworking programmers probably don't deserve.