This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

BMW Navigator VI - not recognised - DELL Win 10

HI All - hope somebody has the fix to this.
I just bought the Garmin BMW Navigator VI but when I plug it to my DELL laptop (Win 10), nothing happens. I can only see the navigator switching on and that the battery is recharging.
I went though different forums and it seems there is an issue with Win 10 but I could not found the solution.

I need to connect it via Garmin Express to register it and make all required updates but, as I said above, it is not recognised.

Any suggestions? Something I need to somehow update on the nav before it gets recognised?

The Laptop is a DELL XPS running on Win 10.

Thanks
Christian

• I finally figured out why some USB 3.0 work and some USB 3.0 do not work with Nave V or VI. I own a Dell 5510 laptop, and it has only two USB 3.0 ports, both encoded with technology Del calls Powershare. What exactly this powershare does is beyond me, when I read the specs it says it supports charging of devices. I thought all USB ports allow for charging devices, so why they have this weird thing encoded with their weird software is strange. Anyway, I also have a Thunderbolt extender with 2 USB 2.0, 2 USB3.0 and 1 USB 3.0 with powershare. All ports work with Nav except the one with powershare. TADA! mystery solved. Check if you have a dell, or other computer, with Powershare, that seems to be the culprit. There is a little icon of a battery or a lightning bolt that indicates the USB has powershare. Only took me about 3 years to figure this one out. Slight smile

• So as stated it's not a Garmin issue but an issue with your PC, glad you discovered it and thanks for posting, it may help others struggling with their systems. 

• I do try to help others, and why I posted my findings. But to say it is 'my' PC is a misleading statement, as I am not the only one with a computer with this technology, many others who own Dell with this tech, as well as other manufactures have similar tech. Thus, I am delighted to be of assistance to Garmin who now, assuming they read these posts, have an indication of an issue with their Nav system. After all, every other USB device I connect to this PC works without a glitch, including iPhones, DAC's and many other peripherals I use. So, just sharing knowledge with Garmin community.

• A quick look shows that many folks have issues with Dell powershare ports, so I suspect they are indeed the issue.  Seems to work with some devices and not others.  Apparently it is meant to allow you to use your laptop when it's switched off as a 'power bank' to charge phones etc. 

Looking at this thread Dell seems to be a reoccurring theme Slight smile

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to SUSSAMB

Hi,

after wasting more than one hour with this issue, I´m really happy that AnthonyC3 posted his findings here.

My Dell Precision 7730 Laptop only has 3 USB3 powershare ports.

On the thunderbolt dockingstation NavigatorV is working fine.

But not at all on the Laptop directly.

Is there any notice on the garmin retail box, that the device is NOT COMPATIBLE with USB3 powershare ports ? 

• Doubt it, is there any notice on the Dell site that their powershare ports aren't compatible with Garmin?

You could call Garmin and let them know?

• I have an HP Spectre and it has the same problem. I bought a USB 2.0 extender and it still doesn't work. If there is some specific port extender or setting that will make this work, I'd like to know what I need to do.  I'm sure Garmin knows the details. Tell us what to do. It looks to me like the Nav VI doesn't recognize that the USB is connected and doesn't go into the correct mode. 

• Try calling Product Support so they are aware of the issue and can help

• I will.   Just had an interesting experience.  I had a Hyper Drive SOLO 7-IN-1 USB-C HUB and it was working with my NAV VI.  Hub plug directly into the USB C port on side of PC.  That Hyper Drive Hub failed. Kept getting power to USB port failures. Unrelated to the NAV.  So, I replaced it with another Port expander Hub. A Hyper Drive 9 port Hub. Similar but it connected via a cable to the same USB C port.  I could not get the PC to recognize the NAV VI using this 9 port Hub.  Even bought a small USB 2.0 4-port expander and plugged it into the USB 3.0 port on the PC.  It didn't work either. 

So, out of desperation, since I really wanted to be able to update and load routes onto my GPS, I bought another Hyper Drive SOLO 7 replacement, same as I had before.  It arrived today.  Plugged it into my PC and it works as expected.  NAV connects fine.

So. It appears that some hubs work and some don't.  I don't know why. It might be speed or power differences. I don't know.

I will call Garmin and let them know.

• I'm sorry to tell you SUSSAMB, but I am using a one year old Samsung laptop and am having the same issue. At my count, we now have 3 different, and very popular, laptop manufacturers that Garmin will not connect to. I paid $1000 for a brand new Garmin/MW Navigation VI only to find out that I cannot easily connect, register and update the maps etc. It feels like I got in a time machine and am dealing with tech issues from 1997 or something. This is ridiculous and clearly an issue with Garmin. I don't have this issue with any other piece of tech that I have needed/wanted to connect to my laptop. Even worse, they have known about this issue for years and have chosen not to take action by either updating their product or, at the least, giving some sort of guidance on a workaround. I have been on their page that details what to do if you device is not found. They recommended making sure you are using a data usb cable....well, I'm using the one that you put in the device Garmin. And, make sure you are using the proper port type...check and check. I guess I will try the first guys workaround and buy a USB hub. 

Contact tech support? Yeah, I'll probably do that but you would think they would check these forums. This is a Garmin supported forum after all. I am simply astounded that Garmin is putting out a product that is this hard to manage.