This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

BMW Navigator VI - not recognised - DELL Win 10

HI All - hope somebody has the fix to this.
I just bought the Garmin BMW Navigator VI but when I plug it to my DELL laptop (Win 10), nothing happens. I can only see the navigator switching on and that the battery is recharging.
I went though different forums and it seems there is an issue with Win 10 but I could not found the solution.

I need to connect it via Garmin Express to register it and make all required updates but, as I said above, it is not recognised.

Any suggestions? Something I need to somehow update on the nav before it gets recognised?

The Laptop is a DELL XPS running on Win 10.

Thanks
Christian

• Hmmm ... this could be a number of things. Are you using a data rather than power cable? Ideally you should be using the one that came with your device.

Next, if you're plugging into a USB3 socket try a USB2 if you have one.

There is more detail in the Garmin FAQ here:

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=l0p9W9vsc37NJ3vH2b5pF6&searchType=noProduct&utm_source=faqSearch

Finally, Win!0 can have issues connecting to mtp mode devices, which yours is. Try changing it to mass storage mode:

1. Start device by itself and go to Volume Screen.
    2. Press the upper right hand corner of screen for 10 seconds.
    3. The Developers Screen will pop up
    (may see Configuration and Settings, if so select it)
    4. Scroll down to MTP SETTINGS
    5. Change from AUTO DETECT to MASS STORAGE
    6. Shut down the device and connect to PC
    7. It should now connect in mass storage mode.

As an alternative to step 1 and 2 above, you can bring up the "trip information" screen by tapping the speed icon, then press and hold the speedometer for about 10 seconds to access the developer screen. Now go from step 3.
  • I found the fix for the issue.

Root cause
    In my case the issue was the compatibility of the Garmin device with the USB 3.0 ports of my laptop.
    I am not sure if the issue is with all USB 3.0 ports in any computer or only with some specific USB 3.0 controllers / drivers

How I fixed it
    - I bought a USB 2.0 port hub. (https://www.trust.com/it/product/20577-oila-4-port-usb-2-0-hub)
    - I connected the USB 2.0 port hub to the laptop
    - I connected the BMW Nav VI to the USB 2.0 port hub
    Like this:
    NAV VI ---> USB2.0 port hub --> USB 3.0 Laptop USB port

- Finally the laptop could recognise the navigator and I could work on it as normal with Garmin Express and make registration, updates, etc...

It might good if somebody can make the Germin support via chat aware of this. When I had a chat with them they were saying that the issue was with the USB ports not providing enough power to the navigator to be able to recognise it!!!! Despite I was telling him that the navigator was even being charged and there was no lack of energy on the USB ports (as they also could be used as power supply)

Anyway... this is how I fixed the problem

Cheers and thanks for your answer.
  • Same issue with my Navigator V and USB 3.0 port on my HP Spectre laptop running Win10. Workaround:
    - plug in device to USB 3.0 port on laptop
    - reboot laptop
    - device recognized
  • Hi,

just tried this workaround also but it does not work in my case... I need to keep using the USB 2.0 port hub.

thanks
  • Hi,

I have the same problem with a number of USB ports. But on my Dell Precision, I can use (only) the USB port on the left side of the laptop.
    So doing this I don't have to use an extra USB hub.
  • Navigator V & VI - USB 3.0 DOES NOT WORK on Dell Precision 5510 either. Throughput is too fast for both models. This has been a Garmin Bug for the past three years ever since Dell put USB 3.0 into most of all their laptops. I have reached out to GARMIN but they don't seem to care to fix this problem. Their tech support is sub par, and their dedication to BMW products is not there. For a $1,000 brand new product, lack of new technology is unacceptable and the BMW community should be hammering Garmin for a fix!!!!!
  • So Dell put usb3 into their laptops yet you blame Garmin? I have no issue connecting my devices to a Toshiba laptop.
  • Yes, I blame Garmin, USB 3.0 is here to stay and going into all high end laptops and desktops, so if you're behind the times, that's your problem and it appears if i stick with Garmin, mine as well. so much for keeping up with technology.

For anyone still following this, Garmin has not fixed this. YES THIS IS GARMIN's PROBLEM - The Nav V & VI are both not compatible with any USB  3.0 port hubs

GARMIN----- FIX THIS!!!@!!! you should be embarrassed by now!!!

• I'm with you, Anthony. This is absolutely pathetic.

I just wasted an hour of my time trying to work this out as I'd previously used the USB2 port on my laptop and this time happened to plug the device into the USB3 port.

The only reason I bought the Nav VI was for compatibility with my bike. If it weren't for that, I'd have gone elsewhere for sure.

• Maybe if enough people complain to Garmin they will fix it, i'm sure it's a firmware fix. Fortunately I have a thunderbolt port extender for my Dell which has stepped down USB2.0 plug which works perfectly, (both TB16 & WD15 work for me) takes about a minute or so for the Nav VI to be recognized but it works flawlessly every time. You just can't use it with any USB 3.0 ports. The Nav VI does have many good features, I like the way it connects to my Cardo and iPhone for seamless integration through the BMW thumb wheel. Good luck.