Problems connecting to Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar with BaseCamp 4.7.4 since firmware update

I have noticed that recently, there have been reports that Basecamp is not working with the Fenix 7X since the recent firmware update, but both seem to have been closed so I cannot add my experiences.  I can confirm that this is also the case for me:

BaseCamp shows the Fenix 7X but the Internal Storage does not show any of my recorded tracks:

However, my old Epix from 2016 is still showing the tracks and waypoints as normal:

The Fenix 7X was working before the firmware update.  It looks as if the latest Fenix 7X firmware is not compatible with BaseCamp.

Top Replies

All Replies

• I can confirm that after my Fenix 7X was working for a while with BaseCamp 4.7.5, the latest firmware update has broken BaseCamp again.

• Same issue here: Fenix 7X SS, firmware 16.22 - basecamp 4.7.5

In Basecamp the installed maps are shown BUT can not be used. AND there is NO unit-ID shown behind the Fenix 7X anymore. If I drop waypoints or tracks into the internal storage there is a a Waypoints.gpx created in the GPX-Folder. The waypoints and tracks are NOT shown in the fenix under navigation "safed location" or "courses"!

GARMIN Express seems to work fine. The fenix 7X is shown in the Windows file explorer and the file transfer and file delete is working properly!

• Fenix 7 16.22 doesn't work. It is a pity. I used Basecamp for managing custom maps and courses both on my old GPSMAP 60CS and the new Fenix. Now it stopped working.

• У меня тоже не работает подключение с часов с БейсКамп. Есть решение проблемы?

My connection from my watch to BaseCamp is also not working. Is there a solution to the problem?

• Update April 9, 2024

Our engineers are aware of an issue effecting the Outdoor wearables (Fenix 7, Epix 2, Marq etc) being recognized correctly by BaseCamp. They are working toward a software solution for this. 

• Does this Basecamp issue also affect custom location points (those saved in device in file GARMIN\Location\Lctns.fit)?
    I mean Is it still possible to edit/add/delete custom location points for Fenix 7 in Basecamp?

• Is it still possible to edit/add/delete custom location points for Fenix 7 in Basecamp?

With this current issued, people are having trouble editing the content in the watch, as well as sending data to the watch from BaseCamp. Once this concern is resolved, yes you would be able to edit saved locations in the watch library using BaseCamp.

• Some have indicated this is working for them with the BETA software 17.12, but not all. So out engineers are still investigating this for a solution. And hope to have this resolved as quickly as possible. While not the perfect solution, if you have a need of this tool, they are encouraging using Garmin Explore in the mean time. As this will support many of the same mapping tools. I will update once they have announced an official fix. 

• Problem solved temporarily

Reinstall the system (the version has been downgraded to 15.77, please do not upgrade the software yet)
  • Sounds interesting. How did you manage the downgrade to 15.77 or did it did it just "happen" that way?

Normally if you do a rest of the system the latest version of the firmware will be installed. As far as I know a downgrade is only possible if you manually copy a gupdate.gsp and force.tmp file (of the older firmware version e.g. 15.77) into the Primary\Garmin folder. After copying the files you disconnect the fenix from the computer. And then your watch will prompt you to install this version of software. And this workflow afterwards will reset all settings.

Is your temporary solution a Garmin approved one? Where did you get the files of the older firmware 15.77 from?

Thanks for your reply in advance.

Thank you @Garmin-Laurie for approving this approach!