This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Heart rate sensor stops periodically

A few days ago my VA3 heart rate sensor began randomly stopping. I will notice my heart rate is "0" on the display. The LED's will not be flashing. If I turn the watch off and on, the measurement will restart. I've noticed that if I just leave it, it restarts on its own after a while. Has anyone else had this experience? 

• Same for me. Just got my VA3 on Jul 19, 2019 and it was immediately updated to 6.60. The HR stoppage seems to happen after there's a change in activity or when my movement is more erratic (e.g. fixing a toilet, washing dishes). The HR widget show "Measuring..." but the green LEDs do not light up and after a few sec, the display shows "- -" ... and then the process repeats. Can take 6-12 min to start working on its own or a restart of the watch. Very annoying ... still evaluating.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to ion_drive

My advice is to send it back, this model has been nothing but problems, Im surprised Garmin are getting away with it, if this was apple it would be all over the net, I will never buy Garbage ahem I mean Garmin again

1. Same issue. I wondered if they are trying to save battery at times? Garmin Pay doesn't work during these periods which is awkward. Starting an activity seems to start it again (without pressing the begin button)
  • We continue to investigate reports of the optical heart rate sensor shutting off after the 6.60 update.  If your sensor is consistently turning off, please reach out to our Product Support team directly

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to Garmin-Matthew

And what is the point of that exactly ? All they offer to do is exchange the device which is what they have done to me, then the new device will update again like what happened to me and its back to square one, you need to fix the problem you created by looking at the code changes, not passing the buck to the product support team to do endless exchanges, to be honest Garmin have gone seriously downhill and you can rest assured this will be my last ever Garmin product, I and many other just cant understand why your software on the device is so bad, its been endless issue the latest one which has rendered our devices not fit for purpose, why cant you just roll the software back?

Oh and apparently its not just the sensor, Some report Garmin pay doesn't work either when its having its moment 

• The problem is the fact that the other major Sport/Fitness smart watch companies out there (excluding Apple perhaps) have forums littered with complaints about their products as well.  Fitbit Versa has hundreds of people complaining about HR inaccuracies where Suunto doesn't even have a proper forum setup for their products either.  So as bad as you think Garmin is, you will have a hard time being happy with any of the competition.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to rspierenburg

This watch worked perfectly well before this latest borked update, besides Did I ask you for your opinion ? Do you work for Garmin ? Do you have any control over this issue ? If not then shut up and let Garmin speak for themselves

• Ok first off...relax.  Not once in my post above did I "speak for Garmin", nor did I defend them.  All I said is that there isn't a major fitness tracker company out there that makes a consumer product that is worthy of our hard earned cash.  So if you are so put off that Garmin ruined your life, I suggest you stay away from fitness trackers in general because they are all bad.

• Same problem here, have spoken to Garmin and they have offered me a replacement watch but is the same thing going to happen again

Not looking forward to receiving a refurbished watch after paying out £199 originally and only had it since June 

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to fuzzy50

I agree, its disgusting and probably not even legal, we are being taken for mugs