This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Heart rate is completely inaccurate only with specific profiles

The HRM readings on my va3 seem accurate while not in an activity profile, while running, doing weights, etc.

However, when I'm in cardio mode the HRM is completely off. It often reads around half of my actual heart rate. When I change profiles while doing the same exact thing (eg: change from cardio to run profilex or even no exercise profile) suddenly my readings jumps to reasonable values.

It seems like a bug to me. I've tried positioning it differently, tighter, looser, other wrist, on the inside of my wrist, and occasionally I can get it working but it cuts out again with any movement. Whereas I never have this issue in other profiles.

Had anyone experienced similar situations?
  • Garmin is just not taking it serious, thats all. I just use my VA 3 for step count ! HR monitor does not make any sense anymore, I tried everything, next time I will buy Apple.

• Had vivoactive HR. Worked fine. With vivoactive 3 "upgrade" Heart rate is way off. Low during activities. Saw one software download; did not help. This is obviously an issue. If software seems it should be every watch. Are some sensors just bad?

• Mine is still giving inaccurate readings, using a heart rate strap now for accuracy. Got to be a software problem. Really frustrating. I actually think the best activity band I ever had was the Microsoft band 2

• Yesterday got software upgrade pushed.  Sunset was showing central tme; now shows eastern standard time correctly. Also a sensor upgrade. Now heart rate appears more accurate during activity. Hopefully can follow up with a for sure. Was this just coincidence? Thanks Garmin.

• This issue makes me think I should have kept with Fitbit.  Those HRs seemed accurate in relation to the activity I was using and their app wasn’t nearly as buggy.  I was really looking forward to getting a vivoactive 3 but I’m disappointed now. 

• Yes I had the same since Thursday this week. The green light also doesnt flash all the time. Not sure what is wrong

• Yes, I have this issue with the indoor rowing. During my somewhat intense intervals (whether 250 m or 2000 m), my heart rate sits around 90. During breaks, if I hang my arm down, it climbs to the 150s. Very frustrating.  Worked fine with my Fitbit (though no rowing app on that). Will try rowing without the app on to see if that is the issue. 

• Hi all 

I bought my VA3 one and a half year ago... the  last 3 -4 months the HR goes banana on any activity... I sometimes cannot breath and it says 90bpm... I am desperate so I think I am going to change it. Does anyone knows if FITBIT is compatible with MyFitnessPal? Any suggestions? Obviously I am not gonna go with Garmin ever again 

• Seems like I have the same issue with my VA3:

https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/healthandwellness/f/vivoactive-3-3-music/213208/heart-rate-and-pace-dependency

I'm using the treadmill activity for it, but also tried Walk Indoor. HR just seems to get stuck on 90-100. Even showed 120 when i took it off.

Another thing I've noticed the light was not flashing, but rather was on all the time.

And for me it happens randomly, cause some workouts with same setting and same pace gives me accurate readings, like steady HR change 80 to 180+.

• Yep. It happens to me too. It's annoyng because I feel my heart pumping up and the VA3 shows my pulse around 80 max 90. Happend on the treadmill, elliptical ar even in yoga.  I switch between exercises on my watch, restarting it or changing it's position and sometimes something works.