This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Auto Save - stopped activity - not me

Got a new Venu SQ yesterday after my vivosport's battery failed after 3.5 years.  Did my first activity this morning - walk I've done many times while wearing my vivosport.  Noticed while in the middle of my walk AUTO SAVE appeared on the screen.  I ignored it and kept going.  A bit later I noticed the watch wasn't recording the walk.  I did not stop the activity.  I started another walk activity then ended it when I got home, so the end result was I took TWO walks (but really only one).  One ended with AUTO SAVE, the other ended by me. 

Searched for AUTO SAVE in the user's manual, not there.  Poked around a bit looking for an AUTO SAVE setting on the SQ; couldn't find one.  Did I miss something?  My vivosport never behaved this way.  It started an activity when I told it to, then stopped when I told it to stop.

I also did a search and found a bunch of comments/complaints on AUTO SAVE but no solution as to why or what "decides"' to AUTO SAVE or if it can be disabled.  

All software/firmware is up to date as of today.  2.90 FW, etc.  

• Hello all!  We have a case open for this issue and the Engineering team is taking a closer look to find the root cause of this.  I have emailed some of you asking for some information.  This will allow me to add you to the case, so when we have a resolution, you will be notified.  If I have not emailed you and you would also like to be added to this case, please tag me so that I may reach out to you directly.

• Hello again all.  Our Engineering team is asking that any affected users please try locking your touchscreen during your activities or using the Auto Lock feature on the watch, just to see if this prevents the activity from auto-saving. 

Please let me know the results of your test(s) of that feature in this thread.  Thank you!!!!

• I always kept the screen lock active and the activities were interrupted by themselves anyway. Last time everything went ok, after 4 activities interrupted in the past weeks. The only difference with the previous ones is that I have updated to 3.00, I have deleted all the old activities from the memory and I have done a hard reset. I don't know if it was a coincidence. In the weekend I will check again. I apologize for my bad English. I'm using google translate.

• Used the golf activity yesterday for the first time since FW v3.00 was installed.  Also enabled Screen Lock during activity in Settings.  End result was OK.  Only one activity recorded, not several.  Not sure if v3.00 fixed things OR Screen Lock OR combination of both.  Needs more testing by me and others here.  

• I have always used the lock during activity and still have issues since 2.90 and 3.00. I let Support know as well. Since my factory reset though, I have had fewer interruptions (1 out of 4).

• I've seen this twice this week with my Sq.  The first was in an auto-started activity; the second during a manually started walk.  In both cases, the Save Activity? prompt came up after about half a mile--12 minutes or so--despite the fact I continued to walk.  I ignored it the first time, and it auto-saved after 15 minutes or so.  The second time, I hit save as soon as I saw the prompt.  In BOTH cases, there was a long gap--15 to 30 minutes--in ALL tracked activity, including steps and heart rate.  Looking at my day showed the gaps.  If I walk the steps, I want them counted, right?

• With the continued reports of this phenomena, we would like to gather some additional data.  If you have been locking your screen and you are still experiencing the watch stopping the activity and/or saving the activity without any input from you, please tag me and I will email you requesting some additional information.

• Hello all!  Does the auto save happen on multiple activity profiles?  If you change wrists, does this have any effect ?

• this happened to me today for the first time while I was on my elliptical, nothing touched my watch.  I updated to 3.0 last week. I had to press the back button for it to continue on.  It did it less then 10 minutes into my workout.  My watch did two updates at once last week after I plugged it into Garmin Express and freed up some memory so I can't speak to the update before 3.0 but never had that problem since buying it November 2020.

•  - for me, it has occurred while Running, Walking, and Biking. I have not tried switching wrists.