Pedals don't spin freely

Took the pedals on a first ride today. Wattage seems accurate and smooth, and compared nicely to the G3 I was also running. The problem is that I noticed the pedals were really tight right out of the box. In other words, if you try to spin the pedal, it only rotates about a quarter turn. After a two hour ride it didn't seem any different. I spoke to Garmin and they sent me the manual which explained in detail how to take them apart. I dismantled each pedal and upon inspection of the spindle, it seemed like there is excessive friction against the internal bearing. I re-assembled them and torqued the left pedal to 6.5 instead of 7 pounds as recommended ...the right I had to estimate as it is reverse threaded. The whole process takes a little over 10 minutes a pedal. The end result is that they now rotate about a half a turn if I try to spin them. It is an improvement, but it really seems like they are too tight, and possibly a waste of watts. I have never ridden with a pedal that didn't spin like a top. ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1267681.png