This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Timer does not stop after completing workout!?

On my FR935, the timer does not stop - but continues to run and record data - after completing a programmed workout (e.g. "My Training").
My old forerunners all stopped, and then I could choose to start it again (after catching my breath ;-) ).

Is this a design flaw - or is there some way I can make the timer (recording) stop after my programmed workout has been completed??

Best
Martin
  • My old forerunners all stopped

The timer does not automatically stop after the part of a timed (running) activity corresponding to a custom workout has been completed, on either my FR630 or my FR235.

Is this a design flaw

No. I think it is a good thing the way it is.
  • > or is there some way I can make the timer (recording) stop after my programmed workout has been completed??

yes - press the stop button yourself!

I believe this change was brought in so that those people who want to run on for a bit longer after their workout proper has finished (say for a cool down or just because they fancy running some more) can do so without "losing" any data.

Agree with ASmugDill that IMHO it is better the way it is now for this reason.
  • I noticed this myself yesterday. My FR630 automatically stopped after a workout, with the FR935 I need to stop it myself. It couldn't find anything about it in the manual, so I'm happy to read on the forums that I need to stop it myself.
  • > or is there some way I can make the timer (recording) stop after my programmed workout has been completed??

yes - press the stop button yourself!

I believe this change was brought in so that those people who want to run on for a bit longer after their workout proper has finished (say for a cool down or just because they fancy running some more) can do so without "losing" any data.

Agree with ASmugDill that IMHO it is better the way it is now for this reason.

I have a different problem.
    Usually when I finish my workout I leave the watch running to record how fast my HR drops. I noticed this messes up personal records - the other day instead of the real PB for 10km the time was 5 min longer.
    Any way to add this cool down phase to a workout? I know I could use an open interval timer but that means I can't use laps as it would end the interval.
  • > Any way to add this cool down phase to a workout?
    Not such the timer stops automatically at the end of it am afraid.

Out of interest, if you are timing a 10K to get a PB why are you using a workout?
    If I was doing a 10K time trial or race I would start and stop the watch manually at the start and end of the 10K.

In any case the 10K "record" on the watch should take the fastest 10K section so if you left the timer running it should not matter unless of course you had not actually done a full 10K. Also, on Garmin Connect, you can manually alter your 10K record to be whatever you like.
  • >
    Out of interest, if you are timing a 10K to get a PB why are you using a workout?
    If I was doing a 10K time trial or race I would start and stop the watch manually at the start and end of the 10K.

In any case the 10K "record" on the watch should take the fastest 10K section so if you left the timer running it should not matter unless of course you had not actually done a full 10K. Also, on Garmin Connect, you can manually alter your 10K record to be whatever you like.

Sorry, poor choice of words.
    I just started an activity, ran 10.1 km and got PRs for 1, 5 and 10 km. 1 and 5 km registered O.K, but 10km was incorrect, as it took the whole time of the activity, which included a cool down.
    I actually lost all PRs as I added some shoes to the activity afterwords and they were deleted. I could add 10 km from the activity but again with the whole time. 1 km and 5 km were lost.

I can't seem to find a way to alter the records though. I can only delete them.
  • I noticed this myself yesterday. My FR630 automatically stopped after a workout,

Interesting. You're right, and I must have somehow got myself confused (out of wishful thinking, perhaps). I just created a dummy workout with a few time-based steps so I can test it while sitting in bed, transferred it to my FR630 (running firmware v7.30) and executed it – and, sure enough, the timer actually stopped after all the steps have been completed.

Notwithstanding my recollection and hence my earlier statement about the timer not stopping was wrong, I'd say stopping the timer automatically is the design flaw, because there is a logical distinction between a timed activity (as what the user actually does) and a custom workout (which is a set of pre-programmed steps with which the user may choose not to adhere 100% or at all, but treat the step descriptions, notes or even alerts as informational only).
  • … but 10km was incorrect, as it took the whole time of the activity, which included a cool down.

That would make sense only if Garmin Connect (as opposed to the FR935) was doing the detection for the 10K personal record. When you go to review your personal records on the FR935, does the 10K PR show the correct time?

I can't seem to find a way to alter the records though. I can only delete them.

You can change the summary data – including (total) time for the activity – in an activity record, before manually setting it as a particular PR in Garmin Connect. I don't have a 10K PR, so just then I ‘randomly’ picked an activity that was originally recorded by my watch, clicked on the pencil icon to edit it, changed the Time to 0:55:55, then manually set it as my 10K PR. Sure enough, my 10K PR then showed 0:55:55 (and not the time that was in the originally uploaded data).
  • I recall with the Garmin Connect "detection" of records it assumes that if the overall distance is "close" to a record distance like 10K then the default is to take the whole stopwatch time as a contender for that record given it is virtually impossible for a GPS device to record an exact 10K exactly as 10K.

However, if not, call up the activity in question on GC and use "Set PR" under the settings menu top right and you can set the distance you want for the record and believe can do this more than once for other distances or your furthest run.

Then you can goto "Personal Records" https://connect.garmin.com/modern/trophy-case and if you click on a record time then you can edit it.
  • That would make sense only if Garmin Connect (as opposed to the FR935) was doing the detection for the 10K personal record. When you go to review your personal records on the FR935, does the 10K PR show the correct time?

No, it shows the same time as GC. I assume PRs uploaded from GC to the watch.

You can change the summary data – including (total) time for the activity – in an activity record, before manually setting it as a particular PR in Garmin Connect. I don't have a 10K PR, so just then I ‘randomly’ picked an activity that was originally recorded by my watch, clicked on the pencil icon to edit it, changed the Time to 0:55:55, then manually set it as my 10K PR. Sure enough, my 10K PR then showed 0:55:55 (and not the time that was in the originally uploaded data).

Nice workaround. Thanks.