This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Timer does not stop after completing workout!?

On my FR935, the timer does not stop - but continues to run and record data - after completing a programmed workout (e.g. "My Training").
My old forerunners all stopped, and then I could choose to start it again (after catching my breath ;-) ).

Is this a design flaw - or is there some way I can make the timer (recording) stop after my programmed workout has been completed??

Best
Martin
  • I recall with the Garmin Connect "detection" of records it assumes that if the overall distance is "close" to a record distance like 10K then the default is to take the whole stopwatch time as a contender for that record given it is virtually impossible for a GPS device to record an exact 10K exactly as 10K.

However, if not, call up the activity in question on GC and use "Set PR" under the settings menu top right and you can set the distance you want for the record and believe can do this more than once for other distances or your furthest run.

Then you can goto "Personal Records" https://connect.garmin.com/modern/trophy-case and if you click on a record time then you can edit it.

You can set different distances but it always uses the whole time. I tried to set PR for 1 km from my 10 km run and GC thinks I did 1 km in 54 minutes. It also thinks I did 10 km in 54 minutes. I could probably edit the activity time and then try it again, but I'll just leave it as it is. It's my first Garmin and I've had it only for a week so it's not a big deal.

Thanks.
  • I recall with the Garmin Connect "detection" of records it assumes that if the overall distance is "close" to a record distance like 10K then the default is to take the whole stopwatch time as a contender for that record given it is virtually impossible for a GPS device to record an exact 10K exactly as 10K.

Yes, the way I think it works is that the GC and watch PBs are separate, and work a bit differently:
    - Watch: PBs are based on the exact distance you run, which can be within a longer activity (like Strava). You can record several PBs of different distances within the same activity. So you could run a 10k race and get 10k, 5k and 1k PBs, for example.
    - GC: PBs are based on the entire activity (e.g. suitable for tracking race PBs), which can be slightly longer than the record. If you run 10.1k (e.g. 10k race), you are only offered a 10k PB.

I don't recall that GC would ever offer a 5k PB if you ran it during a 10k race (for example), but I'm not 100% sure. (The help for GC personal records implies that it's meant for races, which matches my recollection: https://connect.garmin.com/api/content/page/features/personalRecords.faces?cid=1699385
    "Connect can keep track of your fastest races. When you run one of the predetermined personal record distances, and it's the fastest time you've uploaded for that distance, it's a PR")
  • Isn't it also usually so that a record can only be done in a race for the specific distance? So if you pull off the first 800m of a 10km race in 1:30min, it still wouldn't count as a new 800m WR, as it's a 10km event?

Might be that GC follows this logic...
  • I got a 1K "record" on GC in a 1500 metres race.
  • I got a 1K "record" on GC in a 1500 metres race.

Yeah, my mistake. Looking at my GC account now, I see that I have a 5k and 10k PB in the same (downhill) 10k race from 2016 <_<. I guess I only look at my PBs on strava now.

The 10k PB time is the same as the time for the entire activity, even though the distance is 10.05 m, similar to what's been pointed out.

So it looks like PB auto-detection works like this in GC:
    - For the PB that covers the entire activity (e.g. 10k within 10.05k activity), the time for whole activity is used (even if the distance is a bit longer). (Strava never does this. On Strava, the same auto-detected 10k PB is 14 seconds faster, because it only used the time for me to run exactly 10k).
    - For PBs which only cover a smaller part of the activity (5k within 10.05 activity), the time for the exact distance is used (can't see how else it would work). (This is also how strava seems to work)

Which matches what was said already. I also noticed that you can send PRs from GC to your device (which I have never tried before).

Garmin's method actually makes a lot more sense than Strava, because it covers both bases: PB for race (you want the entire activity time) and shorter PBs within a longer race/workout/long run.

Sorry for the misinformation.
  • You can set different distances but it always uses the whole time.

Clicking on the time itself in the personal record and editing it doesn't work? It's not obvious in the UI, but you can click on the time (at least I can). I tried it and I can change the time, which causes the displayed pace to also change. I have 5k and 10k records which were auto-detected from the same 10.05k activity, and I can click on the times in the Personal Records page to edit them.

It's probably the case that GC won't auto-detect the shorter PBs within a larger run if you add a PB manually (or even if you edit the original activity?). I would imagine you'd still be able to click on the time in the personal record and set it to whatever you want (which is not quite the same thing, of course).

(GC's help says that edited runs won't be rescanned for PBs).
  • Clicking on the time itself in the personal record and editing it doesn't work? I tried it and I can change the time, which causes the displayed pace to also change.

I have a 5k and 10k record from the same 10.05k activity.

It works! Must have clicked on everything else when I tried it myself.
  • Clicking on the time itself in the personal record and editing it doesn't work? It's not obvious in the UI, but you can click on the time (at least I can). I tried it and I can change the time, which causes the displayed pace to also change. I have a 5k and 10k record from the same 10.05k activity.

It's probably the case that GC won't auto-detect the shorter PBs within a larger run if you add a PB manually (or even if you edit the original activity?). I would imagine you'd still be able to click on the time in the personal record and set it to whatever you want (which is not quite the same thing, of course).

(GC's help says that edited runs won't be rescanned for PBs).

Clicking on the time itself in the personal record and editing it doesn't work? I tried it and I can change the time, which causes the displayed pace to also change.

I have a 5k and 10k record from the same 10.05k activity.

So thanks to all the suggestions here's my solution:
    I found my activity where I set 3 PRs.
    Clicked on the gear icon and added all three PRs for 1,5 and 10 km - the times were of course completely wrong.
    Switched to Personal records page.
    Clicked on the times and changed them.
    Sent PRs to watch.

Everything is fine now.
  • That's good. I would expect that 1K record to bettered soon given you did it within a 10K run.
  • I think it is a design flaw. I like to run 5 km but now when I have to manually press stop my runs are 5.02, 5.01, 5.04 km depending when I press stop. Also, my times are not correct because of the extra distance. Is there a way to set a workout so it stops at 5km? Hard to believe that I can not run exactly 5 km with my Fenix 5s.