This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Missing european maps

I've bought the Garmin Edge Explore on amazon.de. The description states that it includes the full European maps, but only the following maps are available on the device:

• INTL standard basemape, NR
  • Garming Cycle map EU, North East
  • Garmin DEM MAP EU
  • Garmin geocode map EU

So, maps from Belgium, France, The Netherlands are missing. For those countries, only the major roads are displayed.

Is this normal for the European version of this device? How can I can the maps for those countries?

• Hi - This is not normal, you're missing one map: Garmin Cycle map EU, South West...

If you open the Edge Explore, you'll see the folder 'Garmin' - inside this folder are, beneath some others, normally two 'big' files, one 'gmapprom.img' with 3.2Gb (this is cyclemap EU north/east) and one 'D6017020B.img' with around 2.8Gb (this is the missing(?) cyclemap EU south/west). If it misses, there's definitely something wrong - if it's there, maybe it's corrupt and the EE couldn't read it...

Here's a picture of all maps stored on the Edge Explore and a description what they contain...

You could try to re-install the maps in Garmin Express - from the start-screen choose your Edge Explore, you should see something like 'Map: routable Cycle-Map for Europe 2019.10' and below 'Map options'. Click on 'Map options' and you'll see a button 'Re-Install Map' or so - just click on it and the maps should be installed again - hopefully complete this time!

But beware - it takes a long time to install the maps onto the Edge Explore, as data transfer on the EE is quite slow...

If this doesn't work, you could make a factory reset and try the above again - if it doesn't help, you should exchange the unit through Amazon, which should be no problem as there is clearly one map missing...

• Thanks for the reply,

This is the view i'm having:

I've already tried a factory reset + reinstalled the maps but without any luck.

My garmin files:

• I, too, have ordered the Edge Explore on amazon.de. It should arrive on Monday. I'll let you know what maps are available on my device.

• I'm having exactly the same problem. It's caused by the update to the 2019 map. When I bought my Edge Explore it came with the complete Europe 2017 map (including western Europe). When I then updated the maps with Garmin Express to the 2019 version, the western part of Europe was missing. I "fixed" the problem by manually dragging the old maps on the device again (which I backup up initially). Garmin should fix this issue.

• Garmin advised me to mount the Garmin edge as mass storage on my pc, remove all files large files and reinstall the maps using Garmin express. Currently without any luck Disappointed

• Ok, so, here we go...

My unit just arrived. I haven't started it yet, but I connected it to a computer as a mass storage device, and I can see that the south-west file is missing as well.

Later on, I'll have a look at what area the unit can display, and what Garmin Express says, and I'll report here.

• When turned on right out of the box, the unit reports that it's on firmware 4.30 and contains Garmin Cycle Map EU 2017.10. I verified several regions of Europe briefly (Spain, France and Poland, to be exact) by browsing the map display, and so far everything seems to be in order, i.e. I can see very detailed maps for selected locations in those regions.

I'll see what happens when I connect the unit to Garmin Express and apply all available updates.

• I upgraded the firmware in my unit and updated the maps to the latest 2019.10. It turns out that I have all the maps, i.e. I have both north-east and south-west.

Here's my theory:

The 2017.10 map that was originally on my unit was contained in one file (gmapprom.img). For later versions the map file size grew to a point where it exceeded 4 GB. The FAT32 filesystem (such as is found on the edge's storage) cannot handle files larger than 4 GB, so the map had to be split into two files: the gmapprom.img (north-east) and the other file with long number name (south-west). For some reason the update process on your unit failed to handle that change, and installed only the new gmapprom.img file.

And now I have a question to OP and others who have this issue: Which version of Garmin Express do you run?

• I managed to get it working. I've tried it a number of times on my MacBook without any luck.

Then, I've powered up an old windows machine, removed all the large files from the device and re-installed the maps. That did the trick! The only thing I seem to be missing now is the base maps (but I don't care).

My version of Garmin Express is 6.16.0.0

• There was a fix in Garmin Express for Windows some time ago that resolved an issue with not all cycling map files transfering correctly, which sounds exactly like the issue discussed here. Perhaps this fix never made it into the mac version of garmin express, or perhaps you run an old version of garmin express on you macbook.