This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 820 - 12.60 Navigation broken?

'Upgraded' Edge 820 to 12.60 on Friday and navigation now seem to be completely broken. select course, Start navigation - Device immediatly loses the courses, then claims no route is active.

"Made various device stability improvements"

Coulda fooled me.

Anyone know how to roll back to 12.50

--

Mike

• Did not work from 12.40.  Deleted existing GUPDATE.gcd (dated 8/15 - the version downloaded by Garmin Express), then copied 12.70 from the zip.  Restarted twice and got no update dialog.  Plugged back in and Garmin Express copied over 12.70 gcd with 12.60.

Retrying now after exiting Garmin Express to avoid the 12.60 overwrite of 12.70.

• No joy. Had to go through menus:

1. Hamburger
    2. Settings
    3. System
    4. About
    5. Software Update (12.70)
    6. Install Now

Riding in the morning - will advise if bug is really fixed, but does not look promising:

At computer desk (satellites acquired), loaded a route,  Calculating seemed to run faster than usual, but at 98%, went back to 0 then 0 distance to next.  Cues from map page show only start and end point.

Stopped navigation and loaded same route. After Calculating 95%, distance to next was populated, and all cues showed on map page.

Route was loaded to the Edge 820 via pinning in RWGPS.

• Rode a 40 mile route this morning with no navigation issues.  Fingers crossed.

Garmin Express reports the Edge 820 has 12.60, but device displays 12.70 and GarminDevice.xml has this tag: <SoftwareVersion>1270</SoftwareVersion>.  What's up with Garmin Express?

BTW, not new with 12.70, but when you start riding before the route is 100% calculated, do you typically see the calculating reset to 0% and start over several times?  I'm usually impatient so start riding before the ride is fully calculated.,

• Mine still has the problem.  Bother express and my device say 12.60.  Express does not seem to update my device to 12.7 or anything.  Fingers crossed Garmin-Matthew will get us our navigation function back.  As a ride leader I really need it!

• I just downloaded 12.70, unzipped it and put it in the GUPDATE.GCD in the \Garmin folder on the device.

Nothing installed when I ejected the device.  Nothing installed when I powered off and turned the device back on.

On the device under settings, system, about it still says version 12.60; under Software Update it says "No updates available"

:-(

• Your mileage may vary, but I had success with this process:

1. Exit Garmin Express- it must not be running when you
    2. Plug in your Edge 820
    3. Delete any GUPDATE.gcd in the \Garmin folder
    4. Copy the 12.70 GUPDATE.gcd to the \Garmin folder
    5. Eject your device and wait for restart
    6. If no upgrade is offered, do this:
      1. Touch the Hamburger (three horizontal bars)
      2. Settings
      3. System
      4. About
      5. Software Update (12.70)
      6. Install Now
      7. Should restart with 12.70 running
    7. Don't know why but with 12.70 running, Garmin Express reports 12.60.  But what matters is what is displayed when starting up.
  • Thanks gvaeth.  I did what you said and still not working.  I then did a reset default settings, and tried it again and still not working.

I will delete the new GUPDATE.gcd in the device and hope that the folks at garmin can deliver the update via Express soon.  Too much of my day spent on this little stinking device already today.

• I installed 12.70 and went out on a 35 mile ride today.  It started out fine, but about a third of the way through the ride my Garmin stopped giving turn-by-turn directions, and kept telling me the end point of the ride was anywhere from 200 feet to 3 miles in front of me (even though the route was still there, and my distance to the end remained accurate all along, and it did not report "Off Course" like it had been.) Then with about 10 miles to go it started giving me directions again and kept doing so to the end of the ride.

I created this route on my phone with Ride With GPS, and I noticed it also had strange artifacts like waypoints that said "sharp turn" or "u-turn", so maybe the file wasn't great.  But my wife's 830 gave directions the whole time without issues (but also identified the waypoints.)

• So the random instructions were cues that RWGPS inserted into the file, and I had some mapping errors that probably contributed to the rest.  Whether they also caused the 820 to get confused and botch the directions is a mystery but may also be the case.

• Hi Chairthrower. I also use RWGPS to create my routes and had a very similar experience yesterday. So a couple of things. I went from a very old version of the firmware (around 9 I believe) to 12.60. I actually did not have any problems with 12.60 and my RWGPS courses navigated perfectly. I upgraded to 12.70 and while things were largely ok, I did get the occasional very strange turn notification from my 820. They tended to be little things like turn onto trail or u-turn directions. I never went off course or received any off course messages and the routing was largely successful and accurate through about 80 miles. Did not get the strange additional turn notifications in version 12.60 so I plan to pull the navigation files later today when I get a chance to take a closer look. I think I may go back to my 1000 until we see a few more firmware releases on the 820. I am not entirely convinced we are done with this yet.