This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 820 - 12.60 Navigation broken?

'Upgraded' Edge 820 to 12.60 on Friday and navigation now seem to be completely broken. select course, Start navigation - Device immediatly loses the courses, then claims no route is active.

"Made various device stability improvements"

Coulda fooled me.

Anyone know how to roll back to 12.50

--

Mike

• Same issue here. Like others posting here, on map screen shows "off course", then touch "off course" says no route active.  "distance to next" is blank (rather than actual distance, or 0 as when "calculating").  Sometimes fixed by loading a different course/selecting ride, then re-loading the desired one.

One symptom not mentioned yet:  After touching "Ride" then answering "navigate to start", does not do the typical "calculating". I know the load/load workaround is good when I see "calculating" right away.  If not, I try load/load until I get "calculating".

Jury still seems to be out on factory reset, so will hold off for now.

FWIW, the routes I'm using are created in RWGPS and loaded automatically to Edge 820 via pinning them.

Is it worth reporting to Garmin, or do you think they've heard this enough?

• I guess that it's not a simple problem. Sometimes ok sometimes not. The 820 navigation is certainly not behaving as it was before the update.

• Thanks for your follow up. First, I would suggest reporting directly to Garmin Sport as I don't know if they look at this forum. I have brought this to the attention of the tech I am working with though and will send your comment to him. My feeling is the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I think we are building some interest. 

Can you explain your Load/Load procedure? Because when I as you say don't see the calculation then go back to the course, mine tells me it is loaded. I can see it on the map, but at the top of the map is says I am off course.   

• Just been in touch with Garmin support. I create my routes with plotaroute and load them as a TCX in to the "Newfiles" folder on the edge. Support suggested I import them to connect and load them from connect or the connect app. He said I should get back to them if I still have a problem. 

I've used the newfiles route ever since my first garmin edge 800 years ago (2012) and I've been using it on the 820  since 2016 (although garmin have replaced the edge 820 due to the odd problem since)

However - I'll give the new system a go and let you guys know how I get on. I did point out this thread to the support chap and said I was not the only person with issues and he went to check if they had anything on the system. That's when he came back with the -How do you load the routes? question.

Let's see how this goes.

Nick

• Sure.

1. from a data screen, touch the center of the display to activate the bottom menu
    2. Touch the Home icon
    3. Touch Navigate
    4. Touch Saved Courses
    5. select a different course, then touch Ride. You should be prompted to replace current course
    6. Repeat steps 1-4
    7. select original course, then touch Ride. You should be prompted to replace current course
    8. If you get "calculating" you are good to go.  Otherwise try again

FYI, I discovered this morning it does not work unless you have started riding (i.e. even if you touch Ride then select another route, it does not ask for confirmation to replace current route).

• I'm another victim of the navigation problem that started when I "upgraded" to firmware 12.60. Specifically, Off Course warnings throughout a ride, no turn-by-turn navigation, course distance doesn't decrease while riding, zero miles to next turn, etc. I've just spoken with Garmin tech support. They're already aware and their Engineering team is working on this. The temporary solution, I think, is to revert to an earlier firmware. Specifically, I'd recommend version 12.40. Do NOT try 12.43 because that was a beta version of 12.60 and I believe it suffers from the same problem.

• Support pointed me here for 12.40: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=10356

Download the zip, copy GUPDATE-1240.GCD to the root folder on the 820, then rename to GUPDATE.GCD.  Backup your .fit config files (https://support.garmin.com/en-MY/?faq=eWswdSH4aC3xrXxmQj7U9A) because the downgrade will wipe user data.

If you copy the file already named GUPDATE.GCD you will be installing the 12.43 Beta.

• Did reverting back solve the problem we are experiencing???

• Based on one ride this morning - yes.

• Yes, it appears so. As of this morning, Garmin is still investigating the problem with firmware 12.60.