This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Indoor ride and GPS setting

The 520 should remember if I'm riding inside with the Indoor activity that the GPS should be off. I shouldn't have to remember to turn the GPS off, it's a setting in the profile Indoor profile. I have a couple of trainer rides now with a map of my hour and a half stationary bike ride, arg!

Anyone know how to delete the map from a ride summary?
  • My 520 used to keep gps off during Inddor activities but now stays on. I have to disable it every time now.
  • The 520 defaults to GPS enabled at power up. Although it defaults to the previous profile, you need to actually reselect the indoor profile to disable GPS. Pressing the upper right button prior to starting an activity will bring up the Activity Profile Selection menu with the previous one preselect. So it is pretty easy to select the profile each time and probably a good habit to have anyway. Defaulting to GPS enabled covers the situation where one forgets to change the profile from indoor to outdoor.
  • The 520 defaults to GPS enabled at power up. Although it defaults to the previous profile, you need to actually reselect the indoor profile to disable GPS. Pressing the upper right button prior to starting an activity will bring up the Activity Profile Selection menu with the previous one preselect. So it is pretty easy to select the profile each time and probably a good habit to have anyway. Defaulting to GPS enabled covers the situation where one forgets to change the profile from indoor to outdoor.

No, I remember if I'm riding indoors or outdoors. If I choose indoors that GPS should be off, it's a setting in the profile, no reselecting needed. Rubbish, TIGERMOUNTRIDER.
  • "Rubbish", DBruce62.

TIGERMOUNTRIDER is correct.
  • ditto... my 520 indoor activity profile has changed to "gps-non-remember"

as with another poster, for months I've been using my 520 for both indoor and outdoor rides. whenever i selected indoor the gps is off in that activity profile. something has changed. i never used to have to remember to reselect indoor and turn off the gps... has a setup file become corrupted? is there a fix so that the 520 returns to its prior correct behavior? how do I get back there?

an update that changed the way it works?
  • followup on the gps memory topic

"Rubbish", DBruce62.

TIGERMOUNTRIDER is correct.

hey, no need for this discussion to spiral downhill... there's an honest difference of opinion about how users would like the 520 to work w.r.t gps indoor memory. both opinions are valid. but what i know as some have stated..."the gps default enable for indoor" behavior has changed... that's a fact. I never needed to re-select "gps off" until recently. i make no value judgement...just want some insight into what could have caused the change in 520 behavior.

thanks

david
  • The Edge series has always defaulted to GPS enabled at power up. So maybe the initial behavior of powering up with it disabled was something Garmin didn't intend and changed. Some people wanted to retain the disabled status before there were activity profiles and is is understandable that with an indoor profile one would expect it to be retained. But there is merit to always enabling at power up and it is really easy to just double click the context menu button before pressing start in order to disable it. That doesn't help those that don't know to do it though. Maybe they should display the activity selection menu at startup.
  • I'm on the latest FW and during the winter months always ride indoors. The GPS is always off when I select the indoor mode.
  • hey, no need for this discussion to spiral downhill... there's an honest difference of opinion about how users would like the 520 to work w.r.t gps indoor memory. both opinions are valid. but what i know as some have stated..."the gps default enable for indoor" behavior has changed... that's a fact. I never needed to re-select "gps off" until recently. i make no value judgement...just want some insight into what could have caused the change in 520 behavior.

thanks

david

Hey no problem. I was just saying "rubbish" to the fact, that I didn't think that I should have to turn the GPS off when it is set in the indoor profile for it to be off. Just something for the Garmin boys to see and maybe make a change with the next update, to go with the profile settings or take that out. This is a Garmin forum so I guess they would be reading the issues their users are having.