This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Indoor ride and GPS setting

The 520 should remember if I'm riding inside with the Indoor activity that the GPS should be off. I shouldn't have to remember to turn the GPS off, it's a setting in the profile Indoor profile. I have a couple of trainer rides now with a map of my hour and a half stationary bike ride, arg!

Anyone know how to delete the map from a ride summary?
  • .....a moderator has to approve my comments? Ha, didn't have to approve this one?
  • Thanks for the Context menu tip on GPS enable toggle

The Edge series has always defaulted to GPS enabled at power up. So maybe the initial behavior of powering up with it disabled was something Garmin didn't intend and changed. Some people wanted to retain the disabled status before there were activity profiles and is is understandable that with an indoor profile one would expect it to be retained. But there is merit to always enabling at power up and it is really easy to just double click the context menu button before pressing start in order to disable it. That doesn't help those that don't know to do it though. Maybe they should display the activity selection menu at startup.

Thanks. I hadn't realized how to use the context menu to togle the gps enable/disable. I was going the long way around which involved many button presses. I will try to use your suggested, and much improved, method.

thank you,

david
  • Annoying defaults

I use my Garmin for indoor and outdoor like everyone else. The issue I have is that I just switch off the GPS once I start spinning on the ergo forgetting to change the profile. Then when I go ride outside and I forget to enable it again I don't have a route or segments recorded for that particular ride.
    Very frustrating as even as poor the 510 had been, the GPS still defaulted back to on when powering up! No idea why this can't be 'tweaked' to happen without changing different profiles. :mad:
  • Making it a habit of selecting the course profile each time is a good way to not get the wrong profile. It is very easy to do. From the original screen press the context menu button (upper right) to get the selection list. The last profile used is preselected.

Originally the 520 defaulted to GPS on unless the indoor profile was actively selected. That caused complaints from those who expected GPS to be off when they let the 520 default to the last profile used.